steaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steaming

Please please can someone tell me what you mean by steaming. What is it. how do you do it. Does it help. many thanks

Go near the pot when boil water :P

don't have much experience on that. Too hot may hurts, take care.

Comment

Stella, one of our regulars here, has often talked about the benefits of steaming for her dry eyes.

As I understand it, you do it in a similar way as if you were using the procedure to treat a cold or blocked sinuses...ie to put some boiled water in a bowl or large jug, and hold this near your face (or put your face close enough to be in contact with the steam) and take advantage of the moist environment. Whether Stella puts a towel over her head to contain the steam or not I'm not sure...perhaps she will see this and tell you

obviously, you need to be very careful that the water (and consequently the steam) is not SO hot that it burns...the idea is warm moisture, not boiling the eyeballs...

I don't actually use this exact method, but I use warm water compresses and always find them soothing, as well as actually being in the shower or bath when there is a lot of steam in the air...seems to relieve the ever-present dryness.

hope this makes it a bit clearer for you.

Comment

steaming

Be careful with steaming, use spring water. Chlorine, when ingested in drinking water, can cause eye, nose, and sinus irritation as well as stomach problems. It also causes a bad taste in drinking water. The true, insidious nature of chlorine lies in its potential as a vapor. Chlorine has a much lower boiling point than water, and thus vaporizes much more quickly than water. When used while cooking, chlorine can vaporize quickly and infiltrate the air. Chlorine inhalation is a leading cause of asthma. Showering in chlorinated water can magnify the effects of chlorine inhalation, due to the enclosed nature of shower stalls and the amount of time spent breathing concentrated chlorine vapors when showering.

Comment

I have been steaming my eyes for over a year now ,as my prefered method of heating the lids and meibomian glands
          I have used other methods like moist hot face cloths and microwaved gel pads ,but i always go back to steaming.
          I have posted extensively about how to do this and if you do a search on steaming you will find the relevent discussion on this
          OR go into membership, and posts in my name ,that would be another way to get the discussion on this subject --
          Sorry ,but it would make this post too long, and is too time consumming for me to repeat all the discussion again

Comment

I saw this thread title and thought "Oh dear, someone's had another bad experience with an ophthalmologist!" before I realized the more obvious explanation
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

steaming

Thank you everyone for explaining about steaming.

Comment

Facial Steamer

I have a face steamer by Homedics, and use it fairly often. It has a small resevoir for holding the water and a face cup that goes over this that your face fits into. I found it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000050FEV/...0&linkCode=asn

It regulates the temp so you don't get burned.

Comment

Working...
                X