Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dangers of hot compress therapy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

The above study found change in the shape of the cornea after application of warm compresses with a hard-boiled egg.

Since the eyelids are massaged after application of warm compresses it is possible that the pressure of the massage on the cornea may be sufficient to change it's shape.

Does anybody know what the range of safe temperatures for the cornea is?

How about the eye in general? How high a temperature can we afford to use while not doing any damage to our eyes?

As posted in other threads, this effect on the cornea is temporary and IMO should not preclude anyone from doing their compresses.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty View Post
      As posted in other threads, this effect on the cornea is temporary and IMO should not preclude anyone from doing their compresses.
      My bad, you're probably right, the effect found in that study are probably temporary, I should have posted a different link. Permanent shape change can be achieved by combination of heat and pressure, though. Here is a link to a site describing a device that changes the shape of the cornea by applying heat and pressure for the purpose of correcting myopia, hyperopia (is that what it's called?), and astigmatism:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/60...scription.html

A preferred embodiment of the invention uses a moving heated fluid to raise the temperature of a selected area of the cornea. Preferably, the fluid is an aqueous saline solution having a pH and ion concentration in osmotic balance with the cornea. The temperature of the fluid must be sufficient to allow the collagen fibrils to creep at a reasonable rate, but must not be sufficiently high as to result in collagen shrinkage. Preferably, the temperature is between 45° C. and 55° C.
      It is also possible to change the shape of the cornea using heat alone (thermokeratoplasty). If the compresses people use did this at a fast rate it probably would have been noticed by now. But what if the change compresses cause is very small and you don't notice it but it gradually builds up.

Comment

I cant believe that all the ophthalmologists are wrong when they tell us to use heat and massage for MGD ,and if you google blepharitis - the advise in every case is heat and massage

I have seen warnings about burning your eyelids but not that you could change the shape of your eye

Maybe you should ask Dr Latkany - If he says its OK then I would accept that

Comment

Working...
        X