Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Massage, scrubs and compress..in what order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massage, scrubs and compress..in what order?

I'm very confused about this.

I read two different ways in the last two days, and when I rand my Dr. surgery I heard a third.

What is the correct order? And do I use PF drops at the end?

I only use water for my "scrubs" is that enough. I am concerned about anything stronger upsetting my eye.

Should I be washing my eye with some sort of cleansing solution in the shower.

I have developed two styies in the last month never having had one before. I want to make sure I am doing the lid hygiene properly. If I am getting styies I presume it means I am not. I was doing very well for two months. I have also just been told I have allergies and am using Lotamax seroid drops.

Thanks,

Bernadette

Bit time consuming, but works.......

Well, the way I do it, and does seem to be improving things is as follows, as was advised to me by the optician, who has blepharitis himself! I put the hot compress on for about 5 mins, then scrub upper and lower with a cotton bud with cooled boiling water and either salt or bicarbonate, or he said even just water would be OK, but I think the salt is enough and is gentle. I'd never ever use baby shampoo as I was first advised by the G.P!! I then use the lid wipes across the outer surface, then splash cold water on, then finally the drops. All a bit time consuming, but makes my eyes feel so much better after, and I have noticed a definite improvement. I try and do this morning and night.

Comment

You can use saline or water but don't use shampoo or the "scrubs" that they sell for that purpose (too irritating and unnecessary). You can clean your lids/lashes anytime with a wet QTip and saline or water. But as far as the order of the rest of it, use the warm compresses (or shower and let the warm water hit your closed lids) first, then do the massage/gland expressing.

Comment

I do like the commercial scrubs. I have found that SteriLid is the best. I've tried all the others. It's pricy, but really quite effective for me. It has a really good soothing feel which lasts.

Comment

From my doctor (and what has been working well for me):

10 minute warm compress followed by lid scrubs/massage using either liquid Cetaphil (very gentle and non-drying), SteriLid or Ocusoft pads and my finger. I massage my eyelids/lash line with my finger while rubbing the cleanser on; I then let the cleanser sit on my eyelids/lashes for at least 1 minute. Then rinse and use whatever eye drops I need to use. I do this 2X/day.

I don't like using cotton swabs for the massage or cleaning because it's too easy to poke myself in the eye with it. I was really surprised to read that someone is using a swab with *salt* on it, but I guess that just goes to show that we're all different and the same thing will not work for everyone.

Teri

Comment

Salt was what the optician recommended, and seems gentle enough. Obviously it's dissolved in water first!! He said I could use bicarbonate instead. This whole thing is so personal and different things work for different people, and there seems to be equal amounts of different professional advice, which is slightly worrying. I suppose it's trial and error.

Comment

All these posts tell of a little different method of doing cleansing, scrubs and drops. All are probably good, or a combination of what suits you best. Obviously, you can do all of them at once or it would take all day.

The success if often the routine of what you are using. Do it twice daily (if that's your process) and keep it up. Results may take awhile. If after 3 or 4 weeks that doesn't work, try something a bit different.

Cold is always comforting to my eyes. A cold compress. It doesn't do what the warm ones do, but I think it takes the inflammation down a bit. Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks for your replies, so the order is warm compress, massage and scrub.

Teri...do you keep your eyes closed when you do this, otherwise wouldn't the lotion get in your eye. I'm thinking I migh pick up some to give my eyes and extra "scrub" in the shower. I'm thinking I need to up my lid hygiene routine.

I have found a little grated potato helps to cool the eye, I found this remedy online and it really takes the hot sting off it. And yes Lucy, my rice baggy spends a lot of time in the freezer. I use it on my face and around my eyes when I don't have it on my eye, I feel this must help my ocular rosacea.

Having said all this eyelid pain is nothing like eyeball pain. As long as I can keep the pain away from my eyeball I will be happy.

Thanks for all your imput, again.

Bernadette
                Last edited by bernmee; 18-Apr-2009, 20:35. Reason: More info

Comment

Yes, I keep my eyes closed while massaging/cleaning. It would feel pretty awful to get any of the cleansers in the eye, I think.

I do try, however, to get as much of the lashes and lash line covered with cleanser as possible. So I work the cleanser up under the upper eyelashes as well as I can, always trying to avoid getting the stuff in my eye.

I agree with Lucy -- everyone's different, but the most important thing seems to be being consistent with your routine over the long-term.

Comment

Thanks Teri, I will use your routine in the shower, and continue with my Q-Tip routine during the day.

Thanks for all your help,

Bernadete

Comment

Working...
                    X