Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treatment for MGD or nonsense?

Hello!

I found an advice from a Swedish doctor in the treatment of meibomit (MGD) in an manual on a hospital-server (i work at a hospital somtimes). The doktor describes an effective and simple treatment of MGD.

He uses a medicine called "Azitromax a 250 mg"(often used to treat venereal diseases i found out) according to the following schema:

- Day 1: 2 tablets (morning and evening for example)
    - Day 2-4: 1 tablet.

After four days the symptoms is gone. Usually they recur after a time but then it was only to run the same course again according to the doctor. 3-4 times per year without risking sideeffects. I some cases, especially with young patients, the symptoms never returns (!) according to the doctor.

Now to my questions: How does Azitromax work? Has anyone tried this? Is this nonsense?

I just discovered that this medicine only is available in Sweden and Norway if i understand the link correctly?

http://http://www.drugs.com/international/azitromax.html

Comment

azitromax = Azithromycin

Azitromax is azithromycin. Azasite is an eye drop form of this. Taking azithromycin orally seems like it would be similar to taking doxycicline. That is just my guess. Sounds interesting.

Comment

Update

I have managed to contact the doctor who used azitromax to treat MGD. He has promised to come back after holidays with answers to my questions about his results. I found out that he actually is top-doctor ("överläkare" in swedish) at Sweden's main eye clinic, ST Eriks ögonklinik.

Comment

What is his name???

Comment

Reply from doc about azitromax

Received a reply from the doctor today. To my disappointment, it was short:

"Hello!

Well, to make a long story short, I have many times tried Azitromax at blepharitis / meibomit (MGD) - sometimes with great success, but it has also happened that it is not helped.
            Ask Your Doctor to make an attempt and then you can of course evaluate it together.

m v h

Per Montan"

Comment

Hi!

I'm from Norway. I think i have MGD (red, sore, dry eyes, etc) for 3 years now.

I have just now taken my first Azitromax tab a 500 mg.
              1 tab. each day for 3 days a 500 mg.

I'M SO EXCITED! I HOPE THIS WORK!!!!!!

I will report back in 3 days.
              The cure: be open minded

Comment

Excellent!

We hope to hear good news.

Best wishes,
                Melissa
                pianolady

Comment

The information that I found on the server, I have now also found on the Internet. See link:
                  http://www.nll.se/hg10.aspx?id=58124

Azitromax is recommended by Per Montan regarding the form of MGD called Meibomian seborrhé. The following picture illustrate it.

http://www.nll.se/upload/IB/op/ogonn...anSeborrhé.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by redandsensitive View Post
                    Hi!

I'm from Norway. I think i have MGD (red, sore, dry eyes, etc) for 3 years now.

I have just now taken my first Azitromax tab a 500 mg.
                    1 tab. each day for 3 days a 500 mg.

I'M SO EXCITED! I HOPE THIS WORK!!!!!!

I will report back in 3 days.
                    I wish you best of luck! Hoppas det funkar för dig. Själv är jag lite för nervös ännu för att testa men jag skall göra det tids nog (last sentence in Swedish which Norwegians often tend to understand ;-))

Comment

Didn't work at all!

I'm thinking about asking my doctor to prescribe doxycycline.
                      What dosis can I start on 100 mg twice a day, for 6 weeks, then 20 mg twice a day???

Comment

Hi

Don't you think you should give Azitromax a little longer?

You wouldn't notice immediate results with doxycycline - it is generally around 4 - 6 weeks before it `kicks in' but of course that will vary between individuals.

I seem to recall starting with a relatively high dose of 200mg. I gradually reduced it to 50mg per day but now I'm back up to 100mg daily. I think an average maintenance dose is around 50mg / 100mg. Your doctor should advise you on this

Comment

In the U.S., the drug is called "Azasite". It is azithromycin eye drops. If you do a search on this site for Azasite, you'll see a number of posts. Some people like it but it seems that's only briefly. A lot of people hate it. I haven't seen any long term happy results from it.

Comment

I can't get more Azitromax from my doctor

But I will ask for doxycycline, and I have decided to buy N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine and Glutathione Supplement, and have it shiped to Norway since I can't get it here in Norway.

I have heard great things about this supplement, what do you think?

Comment

I haven't heard that NAC helped dry eye.

Comment

Working...
                              X