No announcement yet.

This is what my doctor told me to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what my doctor told me to do...

From my last eye appointment....

- Do warm compresses about 10 times (keep reheating the towel) in the morning and at night.
    - Use the lid scrub
    - Put Genteal (for Moderate Dry Eye) every few minutes in each eye (or she said, until I can't stand it any longer) She mentioned something about changing the pH balance in my eye
    - Don't use any oral antihistamines
    - Use Naphcon A no more than 4 times a day

This is a bit different from what I normally hear. Not sure how much eye drop I should use on my eye but can anyone really stand to put that in every few minutes all day?

What do you folks think about this regimen?

BAK and "redness reliever" in Naphcon-A

Hi cocomango (I love that name) Naphcon-A contains both BAK and a "whitening" agent - a vasoconstrictor - Naphazalone. I would be very cautious about using this eyedrop.

Comment

Originally posted by cocomango View Post
      From my last eye appointment....

- Do warm compresses about 10 times (keep reheating the towel) in the morning and at night.
      - Put Genteal (for Moderate Dry Eye) every few minutes in each eye (or she said, until I can't stand it any longer) She mentioned something about changing the pH balance in my eye
      - Use Naphcon A no more than 4 times a day

What do you folks think about this regimen?
      Gulp.

I guess my concerns would be... inflaming the lids with too much heat, irritating the heck out of the ocular surfaces with too many drops, and my understanding is Naphcon A is not suitable for chronic use (this is stated in the labeling).

About those compresses: Did they mention how much total time the heat should be applied? I would strongly suggest getting or making a compress that can last you 5-10 minutes without being re-heated (and probably overheated). Then use it once n the morning, once in the evening.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

thanks!
        I was thinking that the regimen was a bit much.

If I remember correctly, the total time may have been about 20 minutes. I do not have that time in the morning!

I've been sticking with what I've been doing before:

-warm compress for 5-10 mins 2x day
        -ocusoft 2x day
        -q-tip to massage the lids 2x day

I have been trying to use Genteal a bit more- it did help at the beginning.
        I've used Naphcon before and didn't like it. I did decide to give it a try this time and it worked great at the beginning- it was amazing to actually see my eyes white! The most I've used it is maybe twice in one day and I don't do it everyday- just when I feel a bad allergy day or if I have an important meeting to go to. I have noticed that it has started to lose it's good effects on me though- so I'm using it sparingly- once yesterday but not today.

So you can irritate the ocular surface with overuse of drops? Good to know.

So what's the best drops to use for red eyes? (to use sparingly of course!)

Comment

Working...
        X