expressing glands: DIY vs. MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• expressing glands: DIY vs. MD

I have had my Meibomian glands expressed frequently by my eye doctor. He said that using his microscope and knowing exactly where to apply pressure, he can free the glands much better than a patient can by him- or herself. And even when I have regularly used warm compresses and tried to express the glands by mself, he still says that the glands are somewhat blocked when I visit him again.

On the other hand, every time I go there he charges 29 €. Two other eye doctors I have been to told me that he is the only eye doctor in the city who does this precedure and that patients can do by themselves.

Because I don't know what to believe, I'm curious what you think. Based on your own experience, do you think that the eye doctor who did it does it better than yourself? In other word, do you FEEL the difference?
    Yes.
    50.00%
    I'm not sure.
    33.33%
    No.
    16.67%

I have a dr that expresses my eyes and I wish he would do it more frequently! I have noticed that no matter how ofter I do warm compresses that I dont have the same relief as when he does it. He will only do it every 6 weeks at best and I have only seen him 3 times since the mgd hit me again after years. I used to get them every 4 weeks years ago from him and the condition had completly left me alone for along time. I fell out of the routien of my warm compresses and it hit me again so now im optimistic he can help me again.

Comment

I get mine expressed even more frequently - every 2 weeks or so - by my local optometrist...and it seems to keep the condition under control.

There is no way I can express them adequately myself, and I feel a lot more relief when he's done it.

AND he doesn't do it for financial gain...every now and then he processes a national health payment form, otherwise he doesn't charge me. (I bring him chocolate which he is very fond of) Mind you, I am a long-standing customer and but all my glasses from them

Comment

I do my own every night
        After heating I go along each eye lid and press between my finger and thumb
        I started doing this after I had developed and got rid of a chalazion
        i was determined to prevent another cyst developing due to a blocked gland and so far i have been succesful

It only takes about 5 seconds to do each lid -- mind make sure you have yuor hands well washed and short finger nails

Comment

Working...
        X