Pulse Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulse Therapy

Can someone please explain pulse therapy to me...I was just given Lotemax to use as pulse therapy for bad days. Do I use it for one day and how many times a day? The bottle says 3x a day.

Thanks!

I do this to get me through bad phases.

Doctors' opinions may differ; I've had to use steroids for years so I almost instinctively know how much to use - and how taper them off gradually. My GP prescribes preservative free minims so I always have some on hand.

Chemia's point about checking intraocular pressure is correct; when on topical steroids you can develop glaucoma. If you have not had a pressure test done before, don't worry about it - it doesn't hurt. One way they do it is by placing an instrument on the front of your eye and then blowing puffs of air at the eye. With a really skilled practitioner, you wouldn't even know that they had done it.

Comment

How do you guys feel about using Alphagan P with steroids to keep IOP under control. It's a trick that's worked for me the last couple of years.

Comment

Thanks, I wasn't sure how long using the steroid was considered "pulse therapy". Fortunately I had recently had my pressure checked and all was good.

Yesterday after work was BAD. I got home a little before 6 and crawled in the bed. My husband (who is trying very hard to understand and be strong for us both) brought me dinner in bed and afterward I fell asleep. Of course I then woke up at 11 and couldn't go back to sleep for a long time. Better days have to be around the corner?!

Comment

Originally posted by RobLIC View Post
          How do you guys feel about using Alphagan P with steroids to keep IOP under control. It's a trick that's worked for me the last couple of years.
          I hadn't heard of this Alphagan P until now - just looked it up after reading your post.

Do you mind me asking if you use steroids all the time or just occasionally?

And if it's just occasionally, do you use Alphagan only when you use the steroids?

Comment

I use steroids just occasionally. When I do, I use Alphagan as a "chaser." It can't help prevent the risk of cataracts. But it can help keep your IOP under control, which in turn can help prevent the risk of glaucoma.

This was a method suggested to me by two eye doctors in NY, one of whom is Dr. Latkany. But of course, please do not try this without discussing first with your doctor!!

Comment

Originally posted by RobLIC View Post
              I use steroids just occasionally. When I do, I use Alphagan as a "chaser." It can't help prevent the risk of cataracts. But it can help keep your IOP under control, which in turn can help prevent the risk of glaucoma.

This was a method suggested to me by two eye doctors in NY, one of whom is Dr. Latkany. But of course, please do not try this without discussing first with your doctor!!
              Thanks for that - I was just curious to know.

No - I wouldn't even think about putting stuff into my eyes without checking first. I've had years of using very potent steroids (no choice) and I now have a cataract (but that's no big deal really).

I'm OK with the test where they blow air into the eye as long as the doctor has a steady hand.

Comment

Working...
              X