Can IPL be done on upper lids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can IPL be done on upper lids?

just curious-can IPL be done for the upper eye lids??
    Jenny

I've been having this conversation with Dr. Toyos. He says the anatomy of the upper lid makes it difficult to do so, but that he's been seeing the same results on the uppers as the lowers because of the way he positions the DermaMed device at the side of the temples. ... Another doctor (not an IPLer) I asked about this recently wondered if using a scleral shell on the eye might make it safer/more plausible to treat the upper lid directly. I've asked Dr. Toyos and will let you know if I get a response.

Comment

Re: PDL on upper eyelids

I've had my upper lids zapped with V-Beam (PDL or pulsed-dye laser). I had about 4 treatments a few years ago. The doctor put in metal contacts to protect my eyes.

It's most important that he/she not zap the eyelashes (or then it's hair-removal laser!).

V-Beam is not like the IPL lasers that I've had before (including the Quadra Q4 which I just had done with Dr. Friedman in Palo Alto). The IPL lasers have a handpiece that covers a larger area (say 1"x1" square). That size does not fit on the upper lid area. The V-Beam that was used on me was more like a 'spot treatment'. See the top right corner of this link to see what V-Beam does: http://www.candelalaser.com/products...tos#advantages

I should mention that I don't know if having PDL on my upper lids helped at all. My dry eyes have progressed in the last 3-4 years. That is why I am now trying IPL with Dr. Friedman.
      Last edited by spmcc; 03-May-2010, 15:53.

Comment

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Interesting ...

Comment

This can be done on the upper eyelids. Anyone try this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V99HB...eature=related

Comment

Yeah, that's probing, akin to what Dr. ****** does in Tampa. An entirely different approach from IPL, more invasive, etc.

Comment

Wow that looks scary!

Rob any response from Dr T as to whether shields can be used with IPL on eyelids?

I was thinking about the uper eyelids but i spoke to a lady who said her MGD came on a month after having them treated for rosacea, she has facial rosacea too, so not im not sure.

I think my left eye became dryer after rosacea became irritated on the outer eyelid.
              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi,

That was me that Sazy was referring to - I had laser - diolite KTP 532nm (double yag frequency), with metal eyeshields on my eyelids to get rid of some prominent thread veins.

I was worried that this is what had caused my blepharitis and MGD (I posted about it on here a few weeks back) because I had the laser treatments in May and July, and then my eye problems started in August, but the more I think about it I don't think it was the cause.
                When I think back, my eyelid rims were red for quite a while before that.
                It's true that my eyelids were quite swollen afterwards for a few days, but I don't think eyelid swelling harms the meibomian glands or eyelids (I have had many IPLs on my face for rosacea in previous years, with associated eyelid swelling and I never had any subsequent problems with my eyes).

Plus the treatment was on my upper eyelids, and my lower eyelids are now problematic as well, so it doesn't make sense that the laser damaged my eyelids.
                And as someone reassured me on here - people actually use IPL to treat MGD, so it's unlikely to be harmful on the eyelids and bring on blepharitis - unless the doctor does something very wrong. Interesting to see that spmcc has had laser on upper eyelids too.

So all in all, I think what I experienced was just a co-incidence, but having said that, if I could go back and change things, I don't think I would do it again.....results not great (veins have largely come back) and not worth taking the risk doing things to eyes unless really necessary.

Jenny, if you do decide to go ahead with it, and you're in the UK - I can give you some names of good laser doctors...

Comment

Working...
                X