X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL Update

Hi,
    I posted a month ago about my IPL experience with Dr. Assil. On November 5th I went in for my 5th tx. Both Dr Assil and one of the optho's felt I am not getting any better (as I do) but thought another tx would be appropriate. Dr. Assil offered to do the whole session for free and offered a free cautery as well. He said that if I felt some relief and I wanteed, I should make a charitable donation to an organizatioon fo rsight! This Dr. treats me just like one of the stars that come in to his office (and I am not for sure) he is very concerned and sees how bad I am suffering from LASIK and wants to help. Unforuneatley IPL after 5 sessions has not helped, during the expression phase they said my oil glands are still like "toothpaste." I give up, but I got to say I really like Dr. Assil. If you have the kind of problem that IPL might help, you can't find a better group for that.

I feel now that after 22 months of this since the surgery that I am surely in this for life and I just hope it does not get worse. I have tried everything I can and have basically run out of money as well. I have however contacted the BFS here in LA at the Doheney Eye Clinic and spoke with a Dr. about the sclera lens. After speaking with her she says they have to be concerned with the fact that I might have some type of corneal nerve damage. I did say that I do have some relief from my four plugs and she thought that is a good sign and I should come see them. I am currently waiting for my insurance company to respond to their requests. I really don't know what to expect from this but like I said, I am trying everything.

Has anyone ever "got better" after this long from the surgery? Is it possible for something to "heal' even after all this time? Thanks

Brad

Thanks Brad for keeping us posted. I am really sorry that the IPL hasn't been the magic bullet for you. Do you feel any better at all? I also noticed that other posters on this board have had upwards of 8-9 treatments before improving, and I wonder what Dr. Assil says about that?

May I ask, do you have clinical signs of dry eye? Low Schirmers scores or low TBUTs? Because if you do, you have things to work on. It's when there are zero signs of clinical problems, in my opinion (and I am not a doctor of course), that the nerve pain question may come into play.

Rose

Comment

Hi,
      Dr. Assil says to come back in three months if nothing happens from the last tx. As far as clinical findings, I have Tbut's of about 6 and my last Shirmmer was a about 8 months ago and it was about 3-5 (mm). The Dr's I regularly see say there are no signs of Bleth, MGD, but I Dr. Assil and Dr Hamilton (at the Jules Stein Eye Institute) say I surely do. I keep on with warm compresses and drops, many supplements including Lovasa. Between the dry eyes and the many, many foaters, it is a real challenge.

So I will see Dr. Assil in January and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

Your schirmers is pretty low. Are your docs doing anything to treat that? That can certainly account for your lack of improvement when it comes to your symptoms.

Comment

This is all since the Lasik of course. I am using many supplements, drops, I used to use Restasis but that was way to harsh on my eyes and I finally got off it after 18 months. I have four plugs, am currently on Doxy and have tried Azasite and others. Right now I just use non-preservitve drops and Genteal gel for severe dry eyes. I have had 5 IPL tx's. I use moisture goggles as well and never take off my 7 eyes. I am not sure how else I can be treated for the low Shirmmer unless I am still missing something. As far as I know right now, the surgery permanantly damaged my corneal nerves and disrupted my tear production and everything I see, especially form some of the sites that are mentioned here, it is permanant and there is no cure. I just hope and pray for a miracle! Thanks

Comment

Admitedly I haven't had IPL specifically for my eyes yet, but from what I have read, if you have visible signs of inflammtion and excess dialated blood vessels i.e. bleph or ocular rosacea, then chances are the IPL will help.

If your lids look fairly normal IMO you probably don't have one of the above and chances are the IPL won't help as much...

Comment

Working...
            X