IPL treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL treatments

I saw my Dr today and wonder of all wonders he has some new treatments. He now can do Tear Osmolarity testing and IPL. Of course I jumped on the bandwagon and have signed up for both in the spring when I get back from my winter hideout in the tropics.

I know that there are a lot of you who have tried, or are currently trying IPL and would like some feedback on if it worked.

I first tried IPL at the Mayo Clinic in AZ in 2015. I did three treatments, but my doctor advised me against doing the fourth treatment because she said it wasn't working. She would later refer me to the doctor I'm now seeing in Boston.

At the first appointment I had with my current doctor in December 2015, meibography of my lids showed scar tissue blocking the glands. He performed MG probing on me in December 2016, and thereafter I got four IPL treatments locally from February through May. I noticed improvement after the second treatment. By the end of the fourth treatment, the doctor who did the IPL said my glands were excreting clear oils again.

In summary, IPL worked for me only after having MG probing.
    What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
    Dry Eye Survey
    IPL Doctors
    Probing Doctors

Comment

Hi Pythonidler
      Thanks for sharing.

Do you remember the machine dr used for your meibography (to show scar tissue), LipiView??

Thanks!
      Last edited by MGD1701; 28-Nov-2017, 10:54.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
        Hi Pythonidler
        Thanks for sharing.

Do you remember the machine dr used for your meibography (to show scar tissue), LipiView??

Thanks!
        I don't think it was Lipiview, but it was some similar IR-based meibography.
        What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
        Dry Eye Survey
        IPL Doctors
        Probing Doctors

Comment

Thanks Pythonidler Interesting and good to know. Anybody else?

Comment

I understand it helps the majority of people. I had six treatments and it never did much. It was after that I received the Blepharospasm diagnosis. I've been having botox injections and they have given me my life back.

Comment

Hi,
              botox injections? How come for dry eyes?
              B

Comment

I think that Jahcpa had blepharospasms that is waht the botox was for, not the dry eye. The spasms were a result of the dry eye I believe.

Comment

Yes, IPL worked for me. I had 4 treatments. My glands were clogged, but not by scarring. I have 75% to 80% functioning glands, the rest are gone. I improved 60%. I was able to sleep through the night because of this treatment. I would repeat and I would recommend.

Comment

Hi PG & Pythonidler
                    Glad to know IPL helped you.

Just curious,
                    1) would IPL work if one has clogged glands mostly on the uppers? If so, why? I dont get it. Thanks!

2) Do you have more glands atrophy on the uppers or lowers?
                    One dr told me if one lost 20% at lowers, uppers should be similiar?
                    I asked because I have no idea about my upper gland status - only have images for lowers - I did request, but no luck.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Hi PG & Pythonidler
                      Glad to know IPL helped you.

Just curious,
                      1) would IPL work if one has clogged glands mostly on the uppers? If so, why? I dont get it. Thanks!

So now my question is does IPL only work on the lower glands no the uppers?

Comment

2) Do you have more glands atrophy on the uppers or lowers?
                        One dr told me if one lost 20% at lowers, uppers should be similiar?
                        I asked because I have no idea about my upper gland status - only have images for lowers - I did request, but no luck.
                        Yes, generally % of area is the same on the upper, but glands are not necessary in the same shape. (This was confirmed by a doc)
                        I mean for example, lower could have some completely missing and others entirely functional while uppers are almost all functional but not in a good shape (shortened or/and crushed congested)

Comment

Working...
                        X