Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many IPL treatments to get effectiveness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many IPL treatments to get effectiveness?

For those of you who have had IPL treatments, did they help, and how many treatments did it take to notice a difference?

I've had one so far and have three more to do. There may be marginal improvement, and my doctor said it usually takes at least 3 treatments to take effect.

Anyone else try IPL?

I received around 6 to get results imo. However, I am on monthly-IPL now as I believe it helps to continue to reduce and control the inflammation.

Comment

I had 6 and it never helped. However, along the way I talked to many in the waiting room that it helped a lot. I was the rare bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahcpa View Post
        I had 6 and it never helped. However, along the way I talked to many in the waiting room that it helped a lot. I was the rare bird.
        What is your skin type? Are you on any other treatments?

Comment

Jahcpa what is your gland blockage like? Do you think it had to do with lots of blockage or gland loss?

Another question important to me: what was your MGD cause? Computer use? Lasik? Accutane?

Comment

People seem to do monthly treatments. Is there any benefit to slightly shortening the time to get them every 25 days or so ?

Comment

Interesting. The doctor showed me pictures of the glands after they were expressed, and there was a lot of thick toothpaste like strings coming out. I'm hoping that more treatments will clear the glands and allow them to make normal oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Johno_87 View Post

Interesting. The doctor showed me pictures of the glands after they were expressed, and there was a lot of thick toothpaste like strings coming out. I'm hoping that more treatments will clear the glands and allow them to make normal oil.
                What IPL does, as far as I understand, is reduce the blood supply to the lid margin. Thereby reducing inflammataory markers entering the gland and allowing the gland to function better. I'm pretty sure it achieves this by closing those blood vessels around the eye.

so I'd say it's going to take a few treatments and some time before you feel/see the benefit in my humble opinion. I think that's why my dr doesn't like IPL or lipiflow, because they bandage the situation in a sense. He would most likely probe you because you have had no relief from all the traditional treatments.

Comment

Ive been reading about people who get probing and then IPL the next day or two later have a lot of success. I think i could do that as i know where to do both these things now.

im also very interested in injecting steroids into the probed and expressed glands. Seems like a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

What is your skin type? Are you on any other treatments?
                    Not sure what you're asking. I am fair skinned. I was misdiagnosed for a long time. When I finally received the correct diagnosis of benign essential blepharospasm, I started receiving botox injections and I have my life back. In my case the blepharospasm caused the dry eye. In many cases it can be the other way around.

Comment

Not sure what you're asking. I am fair skinned. I was misdiagnosed for a long time. When I finally received the correct diagnosis of benign essential blepharospasm, I started receiving botox injections and I have my life back. In my case the blepharospasm caused the dry eye. In many cases it can be the other way around.
                      Skin type can affect IPL success rates. Light skin colour do better in general. You can try giving a few more sessions a try.

Comment

Johno_87 yeah more treatments. The other guy Jahpa had a different issue not MGD.

Id like to buy a machine and use it at home every couple weeks. Sounds nice :-)

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

Skin type can affect IPL success rates. Light skin colour do better in general. You can try giving a few more sessions a try.
                          No. Six was enough for me. It was never going to help with the Blepharospasm.

Comment

Originally posted by edmunder View Post
                            Johno_87 yeah more treatments. The other guy Jahpa had a different issue not MGD.

Id like to buy a machine and use it at home every couple weeks. Sounds nice :-)
                            I don't think he was referring to you Jahcpa with his suggestion of trying more treatments. I think his suggestion was directed to johno_87.

I am in agreement with Edmunder. One treatment is too soon to say if it's going to help. I'm currently doing a series of four treatments. I finished my third and every time the oils express a little bit easier. For the first two treatments I didn't notice any difference But I'm starting to think I'm feeling a bit better after the third treatment.
                            2 days ago I was working outside all day shingling a roof and I never put a drop in from 8 in the morning till I got home about 9:30 at night. that is a huge record for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X