IPL or wait and try Xiedra / iLux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPL or wait and try Xiedra / iLux

Hi, I've had MGD dry eyes for so long now. Started when i was around 24, and am now 62. Tested negative for Sjorgrens. The only think i can find it that i used Retin-A for about a year before the dryness started and it never went away. I had the lower ducts closed permanently and tried restasis and cequa so far. None of that helped. I have two health plans now, . One wants to try me on Xidra and possibly iLux if i get accepted to that, or if Xidra doesn't work. The other plan does nothing new for dry eyes, and has no technology to help dry eyes, other than write a prescription. So i went on my own to an optometrist who has all the new technology. I have several lower glands that have disappeared and the ones that are there are squiggly and have inflammation and some eyelashes have disappeared. Gunk on one eye during blink test, other eye was clear. I was unable to relax when they tried to evert / flip my upper eyelid to take a picture, so that was a bummer. He recommended 4 sessions of IPL with expression. i'm wondering how i'm to tolerate or relax for the expression, i'm not sure i can. Or if i should just wait and see how teh xidra and possibly ilux will work. The xidra is supposed to help with inflammation too? I don't have high hopes for it, but i guess it's possible. The Xidra and ilux will be covered, so maybe i should wait before going to IPL. All advice is appreciated!

I am 49 and have suffered from severe dry eye syndrom esince my early 20's. It's like your life is a copy of mine. The doctor thinks the cause is ocular roseacea. I too have the bottom two puntua cauterized since my late 20s after I had a nightmare with a punctal plug getting trapped in my eye. I am also on Xidra whic does help. I tried restasis many years ago without success. And recently, I have decided to try IPL. I just had my second IPL treatment and have started to see some results from it. My doctor thinks I am an excellent candidate becuase I still have all my meibomian glands - they are just shortened and clogged. If you have lost these glands, then IPL may not work as well. So far, I am quite happy with the results. It's too early to tell though how successful it will be. The insurance doesn't cover it so I am paying $1500 for 4 treatments spaced out 2 weeks apart. I should know after treatment 4 if it is worth it or not. I really hope you find something that works to combat this terrible disease. There are a lot more options nowadays than there used to be.

Comment

Hi, I Started Ipl and had the 1sr appointment a few days ago. After the treatment it was great thru that night, the oil was flowing. The next day the dryness started to return, and now the 3rd day it’s still dryness. If it stayed like it was on the first day I’d be happy. I’m scheduled for 2nd appointment on 4 weeks. I wonder why some get it 2-3 weeks apart and others 4 weeks.

Comment

….also I’m using Xiidra which I started A month ago and not seeing improvement

Comment

Working...
        X