Question about Gland Manual Expression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Gland Manual Expression

I did my manual expression last Wednesday and finally I am feeling a bit better. My Dr asked me to come back again this Thursday for another round of manual expression. I also did lipiflow 2 weeks ago.
    I was a bit worried if I do expression two weeks in a row it is going to hurt the gland. My doctor is really nice and trying so hard to help me but sometimes I feel that he is not that knowledgeable.

Also, my doctor uses cotton Q-tip and my eyes really hurt after. Is there anyway to reduce the pain except lotemax? I am going to ask him to do warm compress this time first.

Every doctor and patient is different, but most of the doctors I've visited refuse to do manual expression on me saying its not needed.

You might want to try IPL as well. IPL is well known to liquify your oil secretions. Are you on any other medication? You should get yourself on both Xiidra and Restasis. Antibiotics can give you fast relief as well, as azithroymcin is well known to liquify your oil secretions as well.

Comment

I am doing IPL on Sep 8th.

I am also doing the following:

Xiidar 2 X day
      Lid scrub
      Warm compress
      Doxy 100 mg once a day
      Omega 3
      Eye drop a lot

Do you think I still need the manual expression?

Comment

HI ebi: Given that you have struggled with the manual expression and are doing IPL in a couple of weeks I would suggest that you hold off on the second manual expression. You will have your glands expressed following the IPL so I would just inform my Dr of what the plan is and suggest to him that you will wait. The expression following the IPL is also a bit traumatic but it is only once a month and gets easier as time goes on. I am happy to hear that you are trying the IPL in addition to the lipiflow. If I am not mistaken you are getting yours done at the same clinic that I have used.

Comment

Yes I am going to Clarity. She is going to try it on my face first just a small spot to see if i will have any reaction.
          She suggested me to do ipl every two weeks. So I am going to finish the round in two months. Did you do the same?

Comment

Actually most doctors do NOT want to express glands, even only takes 1-2 min or so.

Per Dr Korb 2016 videos, his office offers expression without prior warm-up too.
            He also added that some doctors use Blephasteam first then expression and charge USD150.

It is normal you feel discomfort after LipiFlow or expression especially if toothpase-like oil.

I am happy enough if I can find a dr who expresseses glands.
            I will just find the solution by myself: bring along the compress.

Prof/Dr Clara Chan in Canada says she offers expression as most of her patients can not afford LipiView nor IPL.
            Great to know there are still some caring/decent doctors around.
            Last edited by MGD1701; 26-Aug-2018, 05:29.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
              Actually most doctors do NOT want to express glands, even only takes 1-2 min or so.

Per Dr Korb 2016 videos, his office offers expression without prior warm-up too.
              He also added that some doctors use Blephasteam first then expression and charge USD150.

It is normal you feel discomfort after LipiFlow or expression especially if toothpase-like oil.

I am happy enough if I can find a dr who expresseses glands.
              I will just find the solution by myself: bring along the compress.

Prof/Dr Clara Chan in Canada says she offers expression as most of her patients can not afford LipiView nor IPL.
              Great to know there are still some caring/decent doctors around.
              thanks for the tip

Comment

Yes clarity but no I have been doing once a month. I go this week to retest my tears and glands.

Comment

Hi ebi 1368 Plz tell me address of dr who did ur expression covered under Alberta Health. Im in Calgary also

Comment

Working...
                  X