Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favoured method of expressing glands

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • justbob
    replied
    How do you get an improvement that leads to oil coming out if it doesn't come out in beginning though?

    Leave a comment:


  • Katewest
    replied
    Domi-It takes a while to get the glands flowing-at least in my case. I think abut 3 weeks in I started to see some oil come out.

    Leave a comment:


  • justbob
    replied
    Originally posted by JJdryeye View Post
    Don't know. Perhaps searching for the source of the inflammation, the source of the clogged glands to begin with, getting that under control, and then having a limited number of professional gland treatments (i.e. expression, lipiflow, probing, etc.) to unclog things? I wish I had the answers.
    I'd love to get a proper diagnosis, but who from? And I need to survive till that distant time.

    I'm just skeptical of some of the doctors who suggest self expression. Dr. Brown sounds like someone who has taken a hard look at the effects of this and given an educated opinion on the possible risks. I wager that many of the ophthalmologists who are throwing out such general advice are simply repeating what they've heard/read about ways to treat it.
    I agree, they take the easy route, why try to help someone when you can leave them to suffer? it's so easy to do (it seems), and so typically human.

    Leave a comment:


  • JJdryeye
    replied
    Originally posted by justbob View Post
    But how else do we get normal (ish) oil flow? I'm open to suggestions.
    Don't know. Perhaps searching for the source of the inflammation, the source of the clogged glands to begin with, getting that under control, and then having a limited number of professional gland treatments (i.e. expression, lipiflow, probing, etc.) to unclog things? I wish I had the answers. I'm just skeptical of some of the doctors who suggest self expression. Dr. Brown sounds like someone who has taken a hard look at the effects of this and given an educated opinion on the possible risks. I wager that many of the ophthalmologists who are throwing out such general advice are simply repeating what they've heard/read about ways to treat it.

    Leave a comment:


  • justbob
    replied
    Originally posted by JJdryeye View Post
    So what do all you gland expressors think of this article by Dr. Sandra Brown?:

    http://dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/mgcare.html

    Worth the risk? Nothing to lose? Personally I'm torn on the subject of daily gland expression. What say you?
    But how else do we get normal (ish) oil flow? I'm open to suggestions.

    Leave a comment:


  • LaDiva
    replied
    I read this article some time ago, and would like to clarify something. I was assuming that people on this thread have eye doctors who recommended heat and expression to them as part of their regimen. It was recommended to me by four eye doctors as a daily routine. Unfortunately, some people have oil problems that never resolve, even after trying everything on Dr. Brown's list, and more. I thought back to the very first doctor I visited for dry eye. She told me my oil glands were plugged and threw a pamphlet at me about using hot compresses and expression. Her parting words were "let's hope this resolves quickly". It did not, and continued getting worse over the course of several years. I was sporadic about expression and heat, and this was part of the problem. Three years after my original encounter with her, my cornea was in bad shape. You've got to be a consistent warrior and you've got to have a diagnosis before you can have a plan of action. If you are considering this, but don't know if you need it or not, please ask your eye doctor. I agree with Dr. Brown. If you don't need it, don't do it, and certainly if you do, don't poke your eye out!

    Leave a comment:


  • JJdryeye
    replied
    So what do all you gland expressors think of this article by Dr. Sandra Brown?:

    http://dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/mgcare.html

    Worth the risk? Nothing to lose? Personally I'm torn on the subject of daily gland expression. What say you?

    Leave a comment:


  • MGD30
    replied
    For expressing my glands, after using a warm compress, I usually pull my eye lid up a bit and then slightly pinch it inwards so as not to put pressure on the eye ball. I do it hard enough for the oil to express but not enough to cause pain.

    In order to see the oil being expressed I have to apply more pressure. I bought the biggest magnification I could find, I think it was advertised as 15X (although I dont think its really that much). Again, I do a warm compress. Then, I use a good quality, sterile, Q-tip, and put a bit of mineral oil on it (you dont want a dry one touching near your eyes). I then apply pressure on the inside of the lower eye lid, with the Q-tip, while applying pressure on the outside with my finger tip. If you apply enough pressure you should be able to see the oil coming out of the glands, as long as you dont have atrophy, or your openings are closed up in which case you might need probing. I dont do this often and I only do it to see what in what kind of shape my glands are. I like to see this for myself in addition to having my doctor check. If you plan on doing this I would recommend doing it closer to bed time as your eyes will feel a bit gritty, although in the morning that feeling is gone.

    If I hadn't done this prior to and after lipiflow I would have assumed that it did not work because the pain level barely changed; but I could clearly see for myself that the oil being expressed was very different in consistency.

    Leave a comment:


  • dominorose
    replied
    Yes Kate but can't see anything :/

    Leave a comment:


  • Katewest
    replied
    domi do you have a high def mirror?

    Leave a comment:


  • dominorose
    replied
    I dont get how you all manage to see the oil coming out. My doc sees mine but I havent been able to do it once in 9 months.

    Leave a comment:


  • justbob
    replied
    Can't seem to get anything to come out, can't see or feel any difference. This supposed to happen?

    Leave a comment:


  • Katewest
    replied
    I just use a q-tip on upper and lower. You need a powerful mirror though. Its crazy some days its so thick and oozes out other days (bad eye days) they are really clogged and nothing comes out.

    Leave a comment:


  • justbob
    replied
    I tried using Q-tip, couldn't see anything coming out though, is that normal or am I doing it wrong?

    Leave a comment:


  • justbob
    replied
    Originally posted by No tears in ATL View Post
    2. Then, take the index fingers of both hands, starting at about bony part of the eye socket, roll the index fingers upwards toward the lids. Imagine a rolling pin going over dough. Be careful not to pull the skin, just roll the fingers, keeping a fair amount of pressure. I go over the bottom and top lids about 5 times each, give or take.
    Is your finger pointing upwards or is that sidewards rolling? Either way quite difficult to do into the corners (distance between bone and top of bottom eyelid is so small).

    You don't have to press super hard, and it never has worked for me to be overly rough, just firm enough where you can see a small amount of oil coming out.
    I never see anything, usually I can feel it though.

    Does anyone know of any good expression tools/gadgets?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X