Confused, need guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused, need guidance

My dry eye journey started in Dec 2019 after I had PRK, I began to have recurrent corneal erosions and pain all the time. By January 2020 I was told that my mebium was clogged and like toothpaste so I did the 3 or 5 miboflo didn’t work, I did RF (about 4-5 treatments) on the third one my oils improved but then they went back to being toothpaste. As I was getting upset and had my family doctor reach out to my opthalmologist I was finally placed on autologous tears in October 2020 this helped with the pain and slowly my eyes didn’t feel as dry and I was able to only use 2 to 4 drops. So I stopped the RF, but then I began to have a flare up, eyes felt dry and at times my right eye would cry. So I went in for an RF treatment but the doctor was so rough (as she said it was thick and clogged and she wanted to clear them. I thought I was going to get an infection. Now my opthalmologist (who was my surgeon) wants me to really press hard on my glands everyday. Pressing on my lids pressed on my eyeballs and it hurts. Frustrated I bought a gland expressed from Amazon (I have yet to use it) the one that Dr. Perimann recommends to doctors, I just felt like I could be more gentle and patient then then the doctors who have expressed them for me (they also use cotton swabs). I was planning to use it once a week or even just a month, was going to buy a medical tool sterilizer, I bought a lighted mirror and magnifying mirror etc, but then I read some of the posts on here. I am managing ok with my dry eyes, I have learned to live with them, but I don’t want to lose my glands. Now I’m scared if I don’t express them they will die but I’m also scared that the doctors are being too rough and will kill them. (A year ago as far as I know my glands looks healthy until they are pressed by the doctors and toothpaste mebium comes out). In the magnifying mirror I see they are capped I press on the then from the outside with a cotton swab but i can’t seem to press out the tops or bottoms as well as the doctors do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I just want to add, I cannot squeeze the top lids very well at all.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I had PRK and I have severe dry eye also. I use Manuka eye drops and I started with IPL which really seems to help. I also read that if your glands are blocked you can do probing- I am yet to try this. Keep strong and don’t lose hope. This is a chronic condition but it can be managed and looked after.

Comment

Working...
      X