X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nac

Hi,

Thankyou very much for your help, I looked back in the posts and it was Raj who mentioned the drops. I have started taking freesh crushed garlic 3 times a day and I have found that it helps a little with my symptoms, not sure why though.

Maria

Comment

Hey, I always say that everything is worth trying. And the garlic will also help with vampires in case that's an issue where you live.
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Salems lot

Oh absolutley! but because I'm the only one who wears dark glasses around here, I guess they think I'm the vampire I think wearing goggles might actually make you the master vampire, so just tell me what you want me to do master!!!

Maria.

Comment

Garlic

I may have come up with something re: the garlic, aswel as its anti -fugal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, its also an anti-histamine, and I'm wondering if maybe this is how it helps.

Maria

Comment

oral NAC

DR G, there are actually documented studies which show the benefits of oral NAC in treating MGD.

Maria.

Comment

Originally posted by maria
              DR G, there are actually documented studies which show the benefits of oral NAC in treating MGD.
              Really? Would you mind linking those? I assume that you are referring to double-blind studies with controls?

DrG

Comment

AgingEye.net cites an interesting one (for blepharitis specifically).

N-acetylcysteine in chronic blepharitis, Yalcin E, Altin F, Cinhuseyinoglue F, Arslan MO, Cornea 2002;21:164-8. PubMed link here.

PURPOSE: To investigate the effects of N-acetylcysteine (NAC) in chronic posterior blepharitis.

METHODS: This was a prospective randomized, controlled study that included 79 eyes of 40 patients with chronic posterior blepharitis. Routine ophthalmologic examination, Schirmer-1 test, fluorescein break-up time (FBUT), and mucous fern tests were carried out during the first visit of all patients. A topical steroid, topical antibiotic, and artificial tears were started in 36 eyes of 18 patients. The therapy group (43 eyes of 22 patients) was administered three daily doses of 100 mg oral NAC. All patients were examined weekly for 1 to 4 months (average, 24 +/- 0.7). A Schirmer-1 test and FBUT were administered at every visit, but mucous fern tests were administered every two weeks. The results of the first and last Schirmer-1 tests, FBUT, and mucous fern test were compared between the therapy and control groups. Student's t and Mann-Whitney U tests were used for statistical analysis.

RESULTS: FBUT was significantly increased (p < 0.0001), and the mucous fern pattern was also significantly improved (p = 0.0096) in the therapy group.

CONCLUSION: NAC is thought to increase FBUT and improve mucous fern pattern by blocking lipid peroxidation in chronic blepharitis.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for that. In other words, the TBUT was improved in patients who had non-specific blepharitis, but the exact mechanism is not known. I have run across that study. NAC is used topically as a mucolytic (dissolves/makes mucus more fluid).

I guess the generic term "blepharitis" covers MGD, but I don't normally use the two terms interchangeably.

DrG

Comment

Does anyone know how much NAC should take?

I've been taking NAC for about 3 wks now, at 750 mg. Not seen an improvement yet, but I'm going to keep doing it.

Comment

new MGD sufferer!

Hello,
                      I'm new to this forum. I've had problems with my eyes for about a year now and I got diagnosed with MGD a month ago.

It's been great to find that there are other people out there going through the same things as me. I've been so down for the past year. The biggest problem for me, as a young woman, is being unable to wear make-up. I was wondering if anyone out there had any solutions?

Batty

Comment

Makeup for dry eyes

I'm presently using Avon's washable waterproof mascara, and it works GREAT. I've tried numerous other mascaras on the market, and I can't tolerate them--they really irritate my eyes.

I also use Almay's automatic pencil eyeliner in a shade recommended for my eye color. It stays on fairly well and doesn't bother my eyes.

Give these two a try...good luck!

Comment

MGD make up and NAC

Thank you for your advice MsPirk.

I've managed to find the mascara you recommend on the internet, but I can't seem to find the particular eyeliner. Where did you get it from?

I'll let you know how I get on with the mascara when it arrives! I'm so desperate to find anything that works!

Also, what is the general consensus with N-Acetyl-Cysteine supplements? Has anyone found any relief and if so how long do you have to take it for before you see the benefits? I'm currently taking Omega-3 supplements, but haven't seen any change. I was just wondering whether it was worth adding another supplement to the regime!

Thanks.

Comment

Note: Moved Sydneysider's post from here to a new thread in Open Forum. Here is a link (sorry, sometimes firefox acts weird and doesn't let me do hyperlinks):

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=1905
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

Glutathione dosage?

The NAC and Glutathione approach sounds incredible. . .and very worth a try. . .I see, from replies, that the two supps don't come compounded together, however. . .

The study Rebecca posted involved 100mg/T.I.D. for the NAC. Can you disclose how much Glutathione worked for you?

Excellent research on Bmore's part!!! I am so grateful. . .
                              <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

New Method is helping

Hi all. I have had meibomitis for the last 2 months now. After thinking this was going to continue forever I have had some relief. After doing 10 days on another course of Tobradex I am now (3 weeks later) on a regimen as follows with virtually no blisters: NAC 300 mg extended release in the morning. Scrubbing with Ocusoft Extra Strength scrubs (I cut these into 8 smaller strips for future use) immediately followed by Theratears eye drops. I use Theratears eye drops during the day as needed. Then at night I do lid massage followed by my scrub routine and Genteal Ointment. I do the lid massage as follows: I clean my fingers really really well and then gently pull outward my top eyelid with my left hand (pulling on lashes a bit) and then use the first two fingers of my right hand to pinch the eyelid edge. This means one finger is a bit on the inside of the eyelid and the other is on the outside. I then milk the eyelid edge a bit without sliding my fingers around; more of a rolling motion. I have found that any other type of lid massage irritates my sensitive eyelid tissues more, and that I cannot tolerate hot compresses. My eyelids always appeared worse. After I finish the lid massage I scrub, use eye drops and then apply Genteal eye Ointment in a large line above my lashes to sleep. I find my eyes have much more healthy discharge at night when I use the genteal. Between the NAC, BID scrubs followed by eyedrops and the once daily massage, I've been doing great for 3 weeks or more! My doctor just put me on doxycycline 3 days ago to try and knock it off, so I will report back once it kicks in. So far its just making me dizzy

Comment

Working...
                                X