This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual acuity?

I have had 2 visual acuity tests done within the last 6 months; the one done in June was:
    SPH R -1.75 axis 5; L -2.00 axis 10; the latest done in November:
    SPH R-2.00 axis -; L -2.50 axis 30.

I have to see the optometrist every 6 months because I take a medication that can damage the macula, but I decided to try a different optometrist a little early as my vision had been really bothering me (finding it generally hard to focus, right eye rather more blurry).

Initially I put this down to variation between different optometrists, but am now wondering if it might be significant of changes in the eyes? At the test in June the double vision test (looking at a pen at the extremes of vision) didn't go too well either, the pen kept on going double in a mid-upper position in both eyes, even after several repetitions (the optician just said it was something to keep an eye on without explaining why).
    Last edited by y-gwair; 14-Dec-2010, 05:45.

Hi there,

Originally posted by y-gwair View Post
    I have had 2 visual acuity tests done within the last 6 months; the one done in June was:
    SPH R -1.75 axis 5; L -2.00 axis 10;
    the latest done in November:
    SPH R-2.00 axis -; L -2.50 axis 30.

Initially I put this down to variation between different optometrists, but am now wondering if it might be significant of changes in the eyes?
    I don't really understand your refraction results here - is this really the whole thing? It says SPH (sphere) but what follows is apparently cylinder (astigmatism measure) as it's got the axis. Either there's no sphere and the numbers here are cyl, or the numbers are sphere and you're missing the dioptric amounts for the cyl? (Or I'm just not 'getting' something I should be seeing, which is also entirely possible )

Anyway as regards the change, I think it really could be either. A quarter dioptre is pretty much the margin of error in a refraction. But, assuming the numbers above are cylinder, a half dioptre in the left eye might be more significant. If you are also having some mild convergence issues (eyes not working together correctly), that combined with slight prescription change would certainly have a noticeable impact on your vision.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Hi there,
      I don't really understand your refraction results here - is this really the whole thing? It says SPH (sphere) but what follows is apparently cylinder (astigmatism measure) as it's got the axis. Either there's no sphere and the numbers here are cyl, or the numbers are sphere and you're missing the dioptric amounts for the cyl? (Or I'm just not 'getting' something I should be seeing, which is also entirely possible )
      Sorry, omitted CYC -0.5 (same on both consultations). I've been having regular eye tests at ophthalmologist consultations; in June I could always read lowest 2 lines (as always), but since the onset of severe dryness, I've been unable to make out either. Since punctal occlusion, the left eye has improved a lot; the right still having problems with smallest text though, so I'm fairly sure it is related to dryness/inflammatory eye surface condition (odd, as the right eye had a much higher Schirmer score than the left but is much more inflamed).

Comment

Working...
      X