Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Homeopathic treatments help to resolve dryness ,corneal nerve damage.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Homeopathic treatments help to resolve dryness ,corneal nerve damage.

HI all,

Does Homeopathy treates dryness, helps to heal the corneal nerve damage caused due to lasik?

My problems are not caused by lasik and homoeopathy made no difference at all. As it is a complementary treatment, I used it alongside conventional means rather than a replacment.

I would be cautious about this; I spent a lot of money and although the practitioner claimed she had treated people (like me) before, she was clearly`out of her depth'. In the end, she accused me of not co-operating with her and suggested I should go away and have a good cry! If only I could.

Comment

Re: homeopathic drops

I didn't have surgery. I have ocular rosacea. A naturopath suggested I use/try Oculoheel drops (homeopathic). They didn't help me.

Comment

I think homeopathic treatments are highly unlikely to do anything... the principle behind homeopathic treatments is that you take a substance that causes the symptoms you are trying to fix, then dilute that substance until it is undetectable (apparently, the water has a "memory" of the substance)... then you use that drastically diluted solution to treat your symptoms...

Canadians will know this show: Marketplace. They did a show on homeopathic treatments a while back... they brought a bunch of homeopathic treatments to a lab and had the lab analyze them... the solutions were so diluted (as expected, based on the theory behind homeopathy) that all the lab could detect was water.

Personally, I'd save your money... odds are that IF homeopathic treatments work at all, it's due to the placebo effect...

Comment

I'm inclined to endorse what Saag has said but it might be worth looking to see how other countries regard medicine that is not `mainstream'.
          World Health Organisation

http://www.who.int/en/

Comment

I am supremely ignorant about homeopathy but... I have used some homeopathic remedies from time to time (not for dry eye), and as a general principle I like considering anything not pharmaceutical as a port of first call. And second and third for that matter.

That said... for dry eye specifically, I have no confidence in any homeopathic remedy simply based on my ear-to-the-ground observations over the years. I have heard of a huge variety of things helping different people with dry eye over the years, but I have yet to hear (so far as I remember, anyway) of anyone being significantly helped by any homeopathic for symptoms of dry eye.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

does that include fish oil omega 3 being not able to provide DE relief?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                I am supremely ignorant about homeopathy but... I have used some homeopathic remedies from time to time (not for dry eye), and as a general principle I like considering anything not pharmaceutical as a port of first call. And second and third for that matter........"
                I admit to not really having much interest at all in complementary therapies until I started having problems with my eyes. I worked with sensible people who `swore' by homoeopathy so I thought I may as well give it a go. My life was in complete disarray and honestly believed if I could get myself feeling better, then eye health would follow.

I was desperate because conventional approaches were not helping. My mind was open to anything that might improve the condition and restore some quality of life. It was my way of taking control and not feeling like a victim. The term `clutching at straws' comes to mind and I spent an awful lot of time and money trying different things.

I know if I tried to make a list, it would be quite lengthy and there is bound to be something missing! Aromatherapy, cranial osteopathy, diets, hypnosis for pain management.....

There are practitioners out there who probably mean well but I don't think they really understand what they are dealing with.

Comment

There are some homeopathic eye drops called Simulasan (sp?). I haven't found these helpful. I love the dr's suggestion to go home and have a good cry - pretty funny - a doctor who clearly doesn't get it! I grew up with a homeopathic doctor; they vary in skill, but many claim to be able to cure anything. Sometimes it works. It seems to be helpful for small children who get recurring colds and infections. It requires a good homeopath to diagnose. Health is a very complex issue; placebo can have some powerful effects. But I don't see homeopathy as a way to fix my eyes just now. I have heard some promising things about acupuncture for some people. Reiki, toning, meditating, biofeedback as well. Diet especially. I keep trying different things to see what helps and probably always will. Many of these can be tried at home for free from online sources. I' wouldn't give someone a lot of money unless I had good evidence those recommendations will be effective.

Comment

Originally posted by olb View Post
                    does that include fish oil omega 3 being not able to provide DE relief?
                    No, the supplements aren't homeopathic. A lot of people seem to get some noticeable relief with Omega 3s although people with severe symptoms may or may not notice a difference.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

I notice that when I overeat and/or drink more than a couple of alcoholic drinks my eyes feel inflamed, dry, and look red. I am also taking Restasis, but have noticed a greater effect by limiting my food/drink intake. I think that my eyes became dry when I started working full time (out of school). I was eating large meals everyday at lunch as well as staring at a computer monitor more often. I began to take more breaks from the computer with no real effect, then began regulating my meals with noticeable effect. This could just be me but it is easier and a lot cheaper than an RX, and therefore worthy of more investigation. If anyone has more input on this it would be appreciated.

P.S. The only medication I take besides Restasis is a small dose of Zoloft for anxiety, which also causes some dry eye.

Comment

Working...
                      X