X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic salivary gland inflammation

Wish every one a Healthy New Year!

Am drinking 16-18 glasses of water for a while. Feel thirsty if I reduce the intake...I even get up from sleep in the middle of the night to quench my thirst.

So, couple of month's back, I underwent blood tests with a Rheumatologist for autoimmune disroders, and there was nothing significant detected (including Sjogren's) in it.

Recently, on advise of same Rheumatologist, I underwent minor salivary gland biopsy for Sjogren's with an ENT, which reported a SICCA Score of 1 and chronic salivary gland inflammation was observed; it seems score of 1+ is confirmatory of Sjogren's. ENT doctor said whatever is causing other inflammations in the body may be responsible for this i.e., this is not the cause of my eye problem but whatever is causing the eye problem may also behind this salivary gland inflammation. And they did not suggest any treatment for it. I contacted Rheumatologist for her opinion and she has not gotten back to me yet....it seems she contacted the Ophthalmologist on it and no response from there yet.

Now I already have meibomian gland inflammation and Rosacea (an inflammatory skin disease) for last couple of years now. My eyes have been experiencing significant burning feeling & foreign body sensation whenever those are open for last 6 months and then 3-4 months back eye doctor plugged my upper punctums. Lower punctums were cauterized couple of years back.

Am wondering whether the salivary gland inflammation is behind the worsening eye dryness/burning am recently experiencing. Do this mean lacrimal glands also may be inflamed as these perform similar function.

Anyone here have treated salivary gland inflammation with success? What treatment worked for it? What else need to be investigated? Should I see an Oral surgeon who may have better clue about it than an ENT.

Not sure what these different inflammations in the body may be trying to indicate.

Does salivary gland inflammation have any correlation with allergies? I have tested allergies (IDAT) earlier and was found pretty sensitive.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by shanku; 03-Jan-2012, 06:31.
Working...
X