This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyebright

Don't mind me. It's been a tough week and I feel like obsessing.

Has anybody heard of eyebright or tried it? I just can't help but have a little faith in all treatments when we's seen some good things lately with glutathione. The info on eyebright is below:

Eyebright
    Your Guide, Cathy Wong, N.D. From Cathy Wong, N.D.,
    Your Guide to Alternative Medicine.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
    What is Eyebright?
    Alternate Names: Euphrasia officinalis, meadow eyebright, red eyebright

Eyebright is a European wild plant. It gets its name because it has been used since the Middle Ages to treat eye irritation. The whole herb is used medicinally.

Why People Use This Herb
    Eyebright is used primarily as a topical compress of eye inflammation. It is beneficial for reducing redness and swelling.

* Conjunctivitis
    * Blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelids and lashes causing flaking and redness)
    * Hay fever
    * Tired eyes
    * Stye
    * Eye irritation

Common Doses
    Eyebright can be used topically or taken internally as a tea. Herbalists usually recommend boiling 10-15 g of the dried herb in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. After this liquid has cooled, it is used as a compress. Eyebright can also be taken as a tincture and a tea.

Safety

* Eyebright should not be used in pregnancy or lactation.
    * Call your health care practitioner if you experience any of these side effects: headache, itching, red, swollen eyelids, severe eye pressure, increases sensitivity to light, vision problems, or confusion.

Important Points About Eyebright

* Eyebright should only be used topically under professional supervision, due to concerns about the sterility of topical eye compresses. Improper use may cause eye infection.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Let us know

Di, go ahead and try this and let us know how it works. Notice the first given name of the herb is scientific and then it's changed to "this eyebright" and that eyebright."

About 4 years ago I was trying Oregon Graperoot Tree bark or something. I brewed this stuff up into tea and it tasted like wood. You ever had a cup of woody tea? Let us know how it works. Good luck.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hey Diana,
      Sorry you've had such a tough week. Hang in there!
      When I saw your posting I recognized the name of the medicine, but couldn't remember where I had seen it. I looked back in all my info and saw that my nutrionist had recommended it a while back. I was already on so many other vitamins and stuff I never went out and got the eyebright. If you do get it and you think it works let me (us) know, okay?
      I'll pray you have a better week.
      Take care.

Comment

I bought it, but never tried it. I'll get around to trying it a some point, but there are so many things that i'm trying that i'll lose track of what's working and what's not.

Comment

eyebright

I have two products with Eyebright as an ingredient. The first is a product called "Vision Sense" by North Star Nutritionals. I started taking it because they stated it helped prevent macular degeneration (which runs in my family), but then noticed that is was mostly a multivitamin with Eyebright added and found that I was overdosing on Vitamin E, Vitamin A, etc. as most every other vitamin has these too. Besides, it did not help me in any way that I noticed. The second is an eye drop called PrimaVu homeopathic herbal eye drops. These also did nothing for my eyes, but dry them out. So my experience with Eyebright seems like a pointless experiment. Dr. G might have more scientific input into whether this is even worth considering. Maybe Eyebright alone as a supplement might be helpful?

Comment

My knowledge of eyebright is that it contains a number of important antioxidants, and also promotes circulation similar to gingko. It definitely can't hurt, and may have some beneficial effects with respect to degenerative eye changes such as macular degeneration. Not sure how it might help with dry eyes, though.

Comment

Working...
            X