This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evoxac

I've had severe dry eye pain in my one eye for 2 years. I've tried restasis, doxycycline, lower plugs and upper plugs and steroid drops with minimal relief. I've been a patient of Dr. Tseng's since December and I asked him if I could try Evoxac. All of the other doctor's I have seen wouldn't prescribe it because of side effects or it's off-label use as a dry eye therapy.

Dr. Tseng agreed to prescribe it. I've been taking it for a week and have seen a significant difference. The pain is gone except in the morning. The only side effects I have so far is I notice I sweat more when exercising.

I was planning on having the amniotic membrane transplant procedure this summer but if the evoxac continues to work than no need to. Once again, it's only been a week but others may want to try it if all else has failed.

Good for you!!!!!

I am glad that you have gotten relief. Is the relief that significant? It must be if you are considering not having the surgery. I am happy for you!!! I think bmore had suggested that is also helping him.

REDEYES

Comment

The constant pain is gone. The eye that has been bothering me still has dryness in the morning and late at night but significant improvement so far.

Comment

Originally posted by kdc66
        The constant pain is gone. The eye that has been bothering me still has dryness in the morning and late at night but significant improvement so far.
        kdc66,

I'm so glad to hear about these preliminary results. Please keep us posted... will be very interested to hear of your progress with Evoxac.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Looks like there's some supportive research (Cevimeline and Evoxac are the same thing).

Raj
          ---------------------------

Am J Ophthalmol. 2004 Jul;138(1):6-17. Related Articles, Links

Therapeutic effect of cevimeline on dry eye in patients with Sjogren's syndrome: a randomized, double-blind clinical study.

Ono M, Takamura E, Shinozaki K, Tsumura T, Hamano T, Yagi Y, Tsubota K.

Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Hospital, Tokai University School of Medicine, 1-2-5 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0053, Japan. masafumi@tok.u-tokyo.ac.jp

PURPOSE: Sjogren's syndrome (SS) is a systemic autoimmune disease characterized by salivary and lacrimal glandular destruction leading to symptoms of dry mouth and dry eye. Dryness can also occur in the absence of glandular destruction. Patients with SS have autoantibodies that bind to muscarinic acetylcholine receptors in the exocrine glands. Recently, a muscarinic acetylcholine receptor agonist, cevimeline, has been approved for use against symptoms of dry mouth in patients with SS. In this study, the efficacy of cevimeline in improving symptoms of dry eye was examined. DESIGN: Prospective, randomized, double-blind, multi-center clinical study. METHODS: Sixty patients were randomly assigned to three groups-placebo; cevimeline, 20 mg three times daily; or cevimeline, 30 mg three times daily-and received treatment for 4 weeks. Patients were evaluated before treatment, at week 2, at the end of treatment, and at the end of a 2- to 4-week follow-up period. RESULTS: Compared with the placebo, statistically significant differences were seen with cevimeline, 20 mg three times daily, in subjective symptoms, tear dynamics, condition of the corneoconjunctival epithelium, and global improvement rating. No difference was found among the three groups regarding the safe use of the drug. CONCLUSIONS: These results indicate that cevimeline, 20 mg three times daily, is safe and effective in improving symptoms of dry eye in patients with SS. Additional studies, with larger patient populations, are needed to further assess the effectiveness of cevimeline for dry eye.

Comment

Exovac

Well, I just found your site tonight. Wow. it is awesome. I am one of those guys who has literally tried everything. I started on Exovac a couple of days ago. My doc told me that it could take up to a month to see some relief if it works for me. I will literally keep you posted.

Comment

Exovac Treatment

Hi kdc66-

how ist the Exovac treatment porgressing? I hope you are still benefiting...
              I was wondering if you have also gathered any objective data like TBUTs from a doctor. Your profile says you have blepharitis - is your dry eye purely evaporative? And have you noticed any difference in dry eye "hostile" environments (like malls, cinemas, airports etc.)?

Thanx
              Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

Comment

Questions for kdc66

You said you've had dry eyes for a while now..is it from lasik surgery? How about your blepharitis..how long have you had that?
                I'm really curious because I've tired all the methods you've mentioned and haven't been getting that much relief lately. Actually, this past month my eyes have been going CRAZY!! Burning, itching, red, irritated, even the corners of my eyes (where the plugs are) have been bleeding! Gross! I think it's the pollen and pollution, but I'm looking for anything that helps. As I've mentioned many times before in my postings here, my eye docs have basically written me off and said there's nothing else they can do for me.
                Is that product that you mentioned a drop? Can any doctor prescribe it?
                You say it feels better overall except for the mornings and the evenings...is it just not that dry anymore? Can you just go into the difference in normal language? Sorry Raj, but all that medical lingo is hard to decipher!
                Thanks!

Comment

Kyle

Your description of your eyes sounds horrible. Have you considered taking a week or so and going someplace else away from all the pollen and pollution to see if your eyes do get better?

Comment

updates

Hiya are there any updates on this? how has it helped people?

is this just for s'jordens dryeye or can it work for anyone with dryeye?
                    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

kdc66,
                      Could you please describe what you mean by pain in one eye...I have terrible pain in my left eye and want to know if it could be similar to yours. Thank you I am happy you are finally getting some relief!!!! Peggy

Comment

I'm glad it has helped you. I know of another patient with post-LASIK dry eye who experienced no improvement whatsoever while taking it.

Comment

Evoxac updates??

Any updates to how this treatment is working?
                          I am considering the amniotic membrane transfer but would rather try non-surgical procedures if possible!
                          Thanks,
                          Kim

Comment

Working...
                          X