Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meds for other conditions (Lyrica, Elavil,)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meds for other conditions (Lyrica, Elavil,)

While I'm trying to have my dry eyes under control I have to struggle with other medical conditions that are just as bad. I'm 34 and I feel I'm 80! LOL.
    My doctor wants to put me in a tryciclc antidepresant (low dose) to treat chronic pelvic pain. The name of the drug is ELAVIL. I already know it causes dry eyes...that sucks . The other option he give me is Lyrica which is used to treat diabetic nerve pain. Side effects include: vision changes and constipation so this drug also affects the eye and it is not recomended for people with glaucoma (I don't have it but that's a clue)

Anyone here has to deal with another condtion that requesres a medication like Lirica or Elavil? or another to treat chronic pain??? My doctor says I have to break the pain cycle.
    Last edited by Maria1972; 10-Nov-2006, 10:09. Reason: spelling in the title
    Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

I started taking Elavil about one month ago, 50 mg at bedtime for chronic TMJ pain. The dose is relatively low. It has helped my pain considerably. It has made my DES only slightly worse. It was getting worse anyway because my temporary plugs are dissolving. The worst side effect for me is the dry mouth, for which my Dentist has me using a prescription toothpaste. In my case, it is hoped that the Elavil will be needed short term, so I am hoping that I can handle the DES flare long enough to get through the treatment with Elavil. Everyone is different. As long as you know that it can make your DES worse, you can watch for that and if it is something you cannot handle, ask for an alternative drug. Good luck to you. PM me if you have more personal questions.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Lyrica

I take Lyrica for peripheral neuropathy. Constant nerve pain. I tried taking Elavil and it dried me badly. I've been able to tolerate Lyrica much easier. It seems to dry me a little but it's not as bad as the Elavil. But you have to remember that everyone responds differently to medications.

Billye

Comment

Silverlady,
        how much Lyrica you take if you don't mind...I'd like to take the lowest dosage. I have a orescription for 3 pills a day 25 mg each.

Comment

dosage of Lyrica

I take 75mg in the morning, 75mg at noon and 150mg at bedtime. We will be seeing the neuro after we get back from Mayo. And unless Mayo changes my meds, she will ramp it up some more. It's still not covering the pain. But I'd definitely recommend it over the Elavil as far as the drying effects.

Billye

Comment

Lyrica

Thanks Silverlady. I'll give this pain 1 or 2 more weeks and try a supplement MSM that ist is supposed to be good for inflamation, and if it doesn't get better I'll shoot for Lyrica see if it works. The first rime I took it only for 2 weeks and gave me headaches but I wasn't sure if it was Lyrica or another med. I will be in a lower dosis most likely, I'm 100 lbs...
            the one I have at home is 25mg 3 times a day. I will try Physical Therapy as well.I really hope Elavil or Lyrica don't mess up my eyes more , I can't afford that!

Comment

Working...
            X