X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mucous layer?

Hi everyone,
    So I'm wondering about my mucous layer.........how would a doctor test for the health of your mucous layer? And what kinds of sympotoms would I have if I had a poor mucous layer?

Since lasik I have had literally zero "eye boogers" the stuff in the corner of your eye. I used to get plenty every morning.

I understand that the lasik suction can disrupt this layer?

I've been managing recently (6 months post op) BUT really want comfort and normalcy!!

Thanks,
    Laura

Since my lasik I notice the same thing. I used to get the mucus in my eye corners sometimes pre-lasik and now I very rarely do. I think the fact that we did prior may suggest that you and I did have very mild dry eyes with no symptoms that we recognized. At least that is the theory I've come up with. Mucus in the eyes is a dry eye symptom after all. And yes our eyes are drier now so why no boogers? I don't know! Maybe somebody can come along and explain this better to the both of us! Just wanted you to know I'm experiencing the same thing. Not that I mind no eye boogers but still it's weird.

Comment

Goblet

The goblet cells on the ocular surface are what produce mucin. I don't think there is a standard test to quantify mucin levels. Damage to the ocular surface reduces the number of goblet cells. This causes evaporative dry eye because the tear film can't wet areas which are mucin deficient.
      If your mucin layer is not healthy you will have these areas on your eye which show up in slit lamp test.

I guess if you produce aqueous tears and appear to have healthy Meibum and Meibomian glands then its a mucin problem. However all 3 layers are more intricately linked than this basic assumption. Having poor lipid or aqueous levels will inevitably lead to damage to the goblet cells.

There is a new secretagogue drug supposed to help this layer but it been demoted back to Phase II. (Diquafosol tetrasodium).

Regards.
      Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Originally posted by lboogie View Post
        Hi everyone,
        So I'm wondering about my mucous layer.........how would a doctor test for the health of your mucous layer? And what kinds of sympotoms would I have if I had a poor mucous layer?

Since lasik I have had literally zero "eye boogers" the stuff in the corner of your eye. I used to get plenty every morning.

I understand that the lasik suction can disrupt this layer?

I've been managing recently (6 months post op) BUT really want comfort and normalcy!!

Thanks,
        Laura
        Hi,

I've never done lasik surgery, but I had an accident with UVC. Next day I woke up with drastic reduction of eye boogers. The first 4 days I did not have any symptoms, beyond the reduction of eye boogers. Gradually were appearing symptoms such as dry eye and photophobia. Currently I almost no produce eye boogers and I've used various eyedrops, but no very effective…I had loss at least of goblet cells (detected by rose bengal - other vivid stainings did not work very well - and impression cytology) and of central retinal function (only detected by the multifocal electroretinogram - mfERG).

SEE THIS:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ght=#post68813

Hugs

Comment

Working...
        X