This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade 2 Mucous Deficiency

After 2 1/2 years of struggling to get a proper diagnosis, I finally managed to find a doctor prepared to carry out impression cytology on my eyes. Anyway, as a result I have finally been diagnosed as having grade 2 goblet cell deficiency. However, I don't really know what this means and have been told that no treatment is available to me. Can anyone shed any light on this or has anyone received a similar diagnosis?

Helen

Hello Helen,
    I don't think the title of your diagnosis means a lot. Goblet cells are the cells on your ocular surface which make the mucin which is what the tear film adheres to. Goblet cells are often deficient in patients with various forms of dry eye due to degrees of damage.
    Many eye drops claim to increase goblet cell density such as Patanol.
    Regards,
    Bruce
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Do you know what is causing your goblet cell deficiency?

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
        Do you know what is causing your goblet cell deficiency?
        Hi

Yes, I had an allergic reaction a few years ago (to an eyebright based eye wash) and it ruptured my tear film. At the time I lost a lot of mucous from my eyes. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way at present to restore mucous levels and so I'm left with chronic eye inflammation. I use Restasis to help with the dryness (which works tremendously well in this respect) but it doesn't eliminate the inflammation and I can't use steroids on a long term basis.

Helen

Comment

I had a reaction to an antibiotic drop for a severe case of pink eye and this sounds like what my doctor thinks happened to me, but yours sounds as if it may be worse. Flaxseed oil, 3 duct plugs and Synergeyes contacts have given me my life back. I still struggle and have to carry drops with me 100% of the time, but I can go 6-8 hours at a time without any discomfort and if I pay close attention I can head off discomfort most of the time by making sure my lenses are rewetted and holding moisture to my eye surface.

Comment

Surely it must be possible to reverse goblet cell deficiency? I appreciate it might take time, and require a helpful occular environment, but even if you were to wear goggles for 6 months constantly?

Are your eyes red? Or more your lids?

Comment

Helen, your condition fits what I have.

Do you have aquesous deficiency also?

I had allergic reaction to eye drops also and now have aquesous deficiency and also mucous deficiency also.

How long have you had this?

Comment

Here is a link to some info about goblet cell deficiency/density http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/gobletcells.html This is one of my problems. My eye doc said that the severe burning that I have is the result of an insufficient number of goblet cells. I also have aqueous deficiency, a double whammy!
                Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Working...
                X