This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypnosis to treat pain and illnesses

I know this is an extremely odd topic to be posting, but I thought I'd just put it out there to see if anyone had any comments about it. A lot of people have mentioned all kinds of stuff for treating pain: basic meds, rest, plasma serum, acupuncture, antidepressents, etc. In my psychology class we have been talking about States of Conciousness and watched a video about hypnosis. First of all, hypnosis can cause people to endure enormous amounts of pain while in the transe (like keeping an arm in freezing cold water for enormous amounts of time and not feeling a thing.) We then learned that there is a form of hypnosis called "posthypnotic suggestion", which is a suggestion made during hypnosis to be carried out after the subject is no longer hypnotized. Doctors are using this form of hypnosis now to actually help heal people with incurable diseases and such and it sometimes completely cures them! No joke- I'm telling y'all this straight from the textbook! They are also using it to control undesired symptoms and pain for people normally experiencing chronic pain. Has anyone heard of this? I know it sounds far fetched, but I would be willing to try anything and it might interest others, too.
    -Amy

I checked into locally once, but I found that the hypnotists in my area mainly concentrated on weight loss and smoking. They didn't seem to even know how to deal with chronic pain issues. I am wondering if there isn't a different branch of hypnosis?? I am also interested for my mother, who is experiencing difficulties. Her doctor actually suggested hypnosis, but she couldn't find anyone who dealt with this either.
    If anyone can shed some light on this, I am interested.

Comment

Dr. Weil has a number of good Medical Hypnosis CDs. I justed started using one for my dry and irritated yes. I expect it will help and I'll keep you all posted.

http://drweilsmarketplace.drugstore....xp3=2&trxp4=ML

Comment

Not Crazy...

Amy,
        No worries on your side. Actually 3 weeks ago I sent a hypnotist an email about my dry eye condition. Discussed the condition, pain, as well as my new found fixation on my eyes (even when they dont hurt). I think I may be seeing things in a much worse light than others and have been told that at times by some. I stress over the physical appearance of my eyes bc I work in a very professional environment. I think they are red and puffy alot and see it in the mirror, but when I tell someone, they look at me like i am nuts. They say maybe they are a little red, etc, but no more than anyone elses.

Anyway, he said he has treated similar type issues with good success. I think I am going to check him out in a week or so and will keep you posted.

C

Comment

If you end up going to see him, I'd love to know what you think! Thanks!
          -Amy

Comment

Nerve block

I had major surgery last year and they did what they called a nerve block for pain. I was skeptical but he assured me most of his patients he does this procedure on never use pain medication, but it is there if you need it. It worked great I did not feel a thing. After 4 days in the hospital they removed the 27 gauge needle and I never had any need for pain medication at all. I wonder if they could block the nerve for the pain signal we expirience. Just throwing this out as another possiblity. Or maybe long term numbing of the eyes... is this possible?
            Jeff

Comment

This is one of the alternative therapies I have not tried yet. I went to a hypnotist show once and it was amazing what the hypnotist could make people do. I am unsure about its potential to cure uncurable diseases. A friend of mine had an awful stutter once and he went to a hypnotist. For about half an hour after the session, he said he was able to talk properly because he was so relaxed but then he reverted back to his previous condition. I am skeptical about its lasting effects but willing to keep an open mind. Please let us know how you get on. Btw, don't bother with accupuncture. If my experience is anything to go on, it is total bs.

Comment

Working...
              X