This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

I have severe dry eyes, and I have some questions about how my eyes look.

My eyes look red on the skin AROUND my eyes, like my eye lids, and all the way around my eyes, they are always red. My eyes look tired and saggyall the time too.

Is there anything that can be done to help the red go away and not look saggy always? Im 29 but my eyes make me look SICK, and OLD. Ugh

bump bump bump

Comment

The only thing I can suggest is cold ziplock baggies (with a little bit of ice and a lot of cool water), or the fancier gel refrigerated eye masks- a bit of cold should help.

Comment

The skin around my eyes gets that way when I'm having an allergic reaction in my eyes. What drops are you using? I have a bad reaction to most drops. You might want to think about whether the redness is a reaction to something you are using. It doesn't necessarily have to be something you are using in your eyes. It could be something in the environment or a shampoo, lotion....anything that causes an allergic reaction.

Is the skin just red? Or also raw and irritated?

Welcome and I hope you can find an answer. I've learned a lot since joining this forum.

Lynda
        Last edited by magoo; 07-Nov-2008, 13:26. Reason: additional info

Comment

Hello ninjasrawk,

How long have you had this problem? Is it constant, intermittent, or seasonal?

I ask because some doctors refer to redness of the skin & dark circles in a younger person as "Allergy Eyes". Also some people have unusually thin skin near their eyes, which may appear red or dark and is more prone to wrinkles. Skin filters (blocks) red colored light, which is why veins near the skin surface usually appear blue.

Also, moisturizers and sun block can cause similar symptoms. I am allergic to something I haven't identified, which is present in some expensive cosmetics. I don't even have to use them near my eyes to have problems. My eyelids get red and swollen and it takes several days to go away.

I would suggest consulting an allergist and/ or a dermatologist.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Thank you all for responding.

It's not raw or irritated, just red. However, it does get sore when I have been touching it tons to remove mucus from eyes more than usual.

I do have bad allergies, ie. runny nose, sneezing badly and even more watery eyes than usual. I went to my dr to try and get on something because nothing over the counter is helping and she didn't want to put me anything because I am on alot of meds for other things already. So, after alot of begging for something she prescribed a nasal spray (which aint working), and an antihistamine eye drop. I couldn't fill the eye drops b/c my insurance won't cover ANY antihistamine eye drops. Someone told me about an eye drop called "Zatador" for allergy eyes and was prescription but now is OTC. I haven't been to the store yet to try them, but I go to walmart tomorrow so if they sell them I will buy them to try. Sounds like an allergist would be someone I should make an appt with no matter what to try and find out the problem or at least a better solution.

On another note, I have Severe Dry Eyes to the point that all my eyes do is water and have stringy mucus blocking my vision and bothering me to where I have to use my fingers to get it out. I am *literally* wiping my eyes with a kleenex for the tearing every 2-3 minutes, and that's an understatement more than an exaggoration. I am going to the mirror to wipe out stringy mucus literally every 5-10 minutes, so I am almost positive that is NOT helping the redness. I can't live like this, always carrying kleenex's and mirrors and digging in my eyes.. people always think im crying, or was crying.. or im a freak cuz im digging in my eyes... and its painful among other things. Can't wear make-up cuz it wont even go on and if it does it comes right off from all the wiping and tears.

I haven't been on Restatis in over a year and a half, and I was only on it 30 days, so maybe I need an eye dr appt to try that again.. ugh ok sorry i'm rambling.

Comment

Originally posted by ninjasrawk View Post
              I have severe dry eyes, and I have some questions about how my eyes look.

My eyes look red on the skin AROUND my eyes, like my eye lids, and all the way around my eyes, they are always red. My eyes look tired and saggyall the time too.

Is there anything that can be done to help the red go away and not look saggy always? Im 29 but my eyes make me look SICK, and OLD. Ugh
              As many others will agree: See a doctor so you can identify the problem and begin treating it.
              Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

I'd ask about filamentary keratitis in addition to whatever else is going on. And I'd step up the cold compresses. Hang in there. You will get to the bottom of this yet.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

only a good Ophthalmologist could help you on that one. If I were you I woudl be focusing on looking for someone with a good track record.

You might want to try looking for allergies. I have a friend who went to many doctors and got different opnions. In the end, he went to Dr. Latkany who told him this is an allergy- but he wasn't sure what was its origin.

My friend now suspect that this was caused by the soap he was using. Sound strange I know, but my friend reproted on a HUGE improvement in his eyes condition after he stop using his old soap and switch to a different one with natural ingredients.

While this isn't an indication to what you have, but just an example for how far patients have to dig in order to find a relief and answer to their suffering.

The reason I mentioned all this, since he was complaining on red eyes, and swollen lids, and bump on his lid skin, and no body could had figured it out. Even Dr. L wasn't sure what that was and what is the cause to it. My friend tried different treatment for DES/Blepharitis/MGD -Doxy, vitamins, compresses, eye drops, etc. But nothing seems to help or to make any subtantial impact on his eyes condition. At some point, I threw a wild idea and I even suggested he check for a rare case where some animals lay there eggs in the eyelids

hope that help.

Comment

Please be cautious about using Zatidor - it can make dry eye worse.

I am surprised your insurance would not cover Patanol or Pataday - I suggest you ask about them specifically.

There are also drops that act to reduce inflammation, which aggravates all of the symptoms you described.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Working...
                    X