This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see a sparkly circle....

So weird..I saw the doc...I have no retinal damage (first thing I checked since I have taken plaquenil for years) It's like a sparkly circle..I can see thru the middle. and I can see around the outlide of the circle.the circle is almost like a migraine aura, but it never really goes away...it's way less obvious in the outside light, much more obvious when the light is dimmer,...it's been over a month and it's still there! Does this seem familiar to anyone??
    Bonnie

Hello Bonnie,

I have had a large, filmy floater for almost a year now in my right eye. It sometimes causes similar effects to what you describe.

I keep hoping it will break up soon . . .

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

The description sounds like an ocular migraine, but I've never heard of one lasting a whole month. It's good you went to the doctor, but you are left wondering what the heck is going on.

I searched "ocular migraine" and learned that--

"The vision symptoms accompanying painless ocular migraines are not related directly to the eyes. Instead, these visual symptoms occur as a result of the migraine "activity" in the visual cortex of the brain located in the back of the skull." (link to website)

---so I can understand why the doctor didn't find anything wrong with your eyes.

This visual phenomenon is usually triggered by some chemical change in the body. I have them and the triggers for me seem to be related to having an empty stomach, then drinking coffee, or sugary dates (but not table sugar). Maybe for me it's blood sugar or enzyme related. Experts say the trigger is different for each person.

Is there some medication you've started lately, or a change in diet?

It's a mystery, for sure, and will take some troubleshooting to understand it.

C

Comment

I also think it sounds just like ocular migraine, as someone who experiences it.

You describe it as sparkling, I take it that means the light moves.

Comment

ocular migraine??

Well it's now been 10 months and nothing has changed...I still see the circle all the time. I have an appt tommorrow with a neuroopthamologist...there's no pain...just an annoying circle that's always there...sometimes sparkly..sometimes shadowy...sometimes flickering, sometimes like little swirlys...but always there. So weird...I've read plenty about ocular migraine...but have not seen any "chats" from anybody who has it all the time. I know I can't be that unique...
          Bonnie

Comment

Thanks for the update. Sounds like "it" hasn't gotten worse-----but hasn't gone away either. Good to hear you got an appointment soon, and let us know what the doc has to say. It's very strange...

C

Comment

Working...
            X