This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link between dental problems and DES

At, least, there was for me. I've just had yet another root canal - that's three now over on the left side and most of the pain has subsided and my eyes are a whole lot better. In fact, I'd say that it has cured about 80% of the pain. So, it might have been what caused my dry eyes in the first place.

First, a quick autobiography for those who don't remember me. I also suffer from dry mouth. Having dry mouth means that you are at a much higher risk of having dental issues because saliva protects your teeth. I've suffered for close to 15 years with the dry eyes and I've spent thousands of dollars on dental work and finally, I think I see light at the end of the tunnel.

So, the point of this post is to warn you that you MAY need to go to the dentist if you have similar symptons to mine. Most of my problems were on the left side of my mouth and I believe that consequently, this is the reason why my left eye has always been way dryer than my right eye. Anyway, I'll keep you posted about my progress if anyone is interested.

Take care!

Danny

Thanks for that info Danny.

Whilst as far as I know my teeth are OK (though I don't go to the dentist), I am aware that sometimes when my left eye aches, the ache goes down to my top teeth on the left. I assume this is due to common nerves etc.

Comment

very interesting post, Danny.

I, too, think there is a link between teeth and eyes...not just root canals but any decay or leakage into the gums. I recently had some dental work done and initially thought the anesthetic had caused a temporary increase in my dry eye symptoms, but subsequently there has been noticeable improvement.

I have several root canals in upper teeth - were yours in the upper or lower jaw? - and am about to have similar work done in the lower jaw.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.

Comment

Eva,

Nice to meet you! To answer your question, two root canals on the top left, one on the bottom left. I agree that it is probably any problems you have with your teeth. I also have gum disease which is the root cause of my problems along with dry mouth.

I don't think it's the cause of dry eyes for me but I think that it was making them a lot worse. In fact, I think that anything that causes inflamation affects your eyes negatively and my teeth were in a mess.

I wish I could say my dry eyes were completely cured but they aren't. I still have blepharitis and the dry eyes are probably down to that and MGD. Like so many others, I'm not sure which is the culprit. I'll answer any further questions you have as I am actively looking for new things again in the hope that I can find a cure altogether for this problem so I should be around this site for a while during the next month or so.

Comment

nice to meet you too, Danny.

I continue to look for links between all aspects of my health/lifestyle and my eye condition.

I recently started (8 weeks ago) homeopathic treatment, and the remedy prescribed for me was one which is often used for people who have problems with their eyes as well as their teeth!!! Since I started the remedy, I have noticed a very gradual improvement, so I am cautiously optimistic.

Homeopathy is a long term process, and I know some members on the board have not had good experiences. Obviously not every therapy is right for every person, and it depends very much on the skill of the diagnosing practitioner as well. I will keep everyone posted as to how I get on.

One thing I am absolutely certain about is that for a lot of us DES is a systemic issue...ie, something is seriously out of whack in the entire body/metabolism...hence so many allergy, dietary etc issues.

I am determined to get to the bottom of it!

Comment

What's the new homeopathic therapy you are trying right now Eva? I'm always curious to know what others are doing, especially if it's producing results.

Comment

Danny, what I've been prescribed is Euphrasia, once a week and another one called Staphisagria, which I take daily - they are tiny pills.

But please remember that homeopathic remedies are highly individual...a homeopath may well prescribe a completely different remedy for exactly the same symptoms to two different people. They take all sorts of things into account, including your physical as well as emotional history so it is essential to consult a professional.

I'll keep you all updated anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X