X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a hospital appointment soon...

Hi everyone,

I have a NHS appointment to see an ‘Ophthalmologist’ at my nearest hospital in a couple of weeks regarding my dry eye problems.

I am very anxious about this appointment and have heard some bad stories regarding the NHS and dry eye syndrome. I have been suffering with this condition for 18 months now, and given my young age (20), I am very concerned about the future of my eyes since I am unable to watch television/use computers without my eyes causing me great pain.

I don’t know what solutions are available for dry eye syndrome patients at hospitals, what sort of things can an Ophthalmologist provide?

I am worried that after waiting for this appointment for 4 months that I will only be in there for 5 minutes, having being told to just keep trying eye-drops from the chemist.

Does anyone have any help or advice that I may find useful to know before going to this appointment?

Thanks.

Originally posted by dryeyepete View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a NHS appointment to see an ‘Ophthalmologist’ at my nearest hospital in a couple of weeks regarding my dry eye problems.

I am very anxious about this appointment and have heard some bad stories regarding the NHS and dry eye syndrome. I have been suffering with this condition for 18 months now, and given my young age (20), I am very concerned about the future of my eyes since I am unable to watch television/use computers without my eyes causing me great pain.

I don’t know what solutions are available for dry eye syndrome patients at hospitals, what sort of things can an Ophthalmologist provide?

I am worried that after waiting for this appointment for 4 months that I will only be in there for 5 minutes, having being told to just keep trying eye-drops from the chemist.

Does anyone have any help or advice that I may find useful to know before going to this appointment?

Thanks.

There are a few options as far as perscription goes. They will try a prescription eye drop known as restasis. If that proves uneffectiv, they will use plugs. If neither of those work (hopefully they will), that is when you need to worry, but for now, just wait it out. Some tips while waiting: first, buy a cheap pair of swimming goggles for when you are at the computer and watching tv. Second, give your eyes a break from tv, computer, etc. Another thing that has worked for me are ice cold compresses. They do wonders! one more thing: never give up. If the worst happens, come to this site and talk to people who will be an encouragement to you. We are all here (including me) for any encouragement or advice. Good luck with the appointment.

Comment

I would say that you should write down your symptoms, how much it affects your life and what you've tried and take it with you.

If you have any questions you want to ask, write down those too. Personally, I find it easy to forget to mention something during an appointment.

Good Luck!

Comment

dryeyepete, I totally understand your fear.

I have put off going to the NHS until now as I am so scared they won't be sympathetic or tell me it's tough I chose to have lasik and there is nothing they can do for me.

I cannot actually bear to put myself through it. I find my appointments at Optimax so upsetting I only go when I REALLY have to.

I have 4 plugs, use drops, eat fish tablets and eye vitamins, have a humidifier, have tranquileyes, so what on earth can they do for me!?

I hope I'm wrong and they can help you, I look forward to hearing how you get on x

Comment

Please try this

Please try this.What have you got to lose.It worked for me, had severe dry eyes,no reason,tried EVERYTHING flaxseed,warm compacts,doryx,lid scrubs,expelling Mg,numerous drops-helped but gee what a pain,I felt like I was obsessive compulive about my eyes.I think the family thought I was losing it.So I stopped nearly all of it in frustration.I now do this and for the last week It's been amazing.Through day I put drops in about 3 times,preservative free.At night I get a small esky fill bottom with ice,sit a bowl of water on top plus some ice in the water and get 2 pieces of gauze dip,squeeze out excess water and place on eyes and go to sleep.Oh! put some drops in before you place the iced gauze on.If you wake during night and the gauze is off,just dip into ice water again and rest on the eyes.I now don't wake up with shocking dry,red eyes.I also keep my eyelash line clean since dry eyes attract allergens and bacteria.Just use a cotton tip dipped in cooled boiled water and clean around eyes.Good luck.I hope people try this because it's been amazing.I don't know how or why it works but it just does,I want to tell the world,because it was just getting me so down for the last 6 mths,that's all I was focusing on.Cheers Nancy from Australia

Comment

Hi my experiance of the NHS for dry eye was awful! they just gave me drops and said my eyes didnt look that bad. But private experience wasnt much better, the only thing i got different was steroids which didnt help.

One thing that might be useful from them is free plugs or try some different allergy eyedrops, or non steroid anti inflammatory drops which im not sure if ive tried, someone else mentioned being given these. Theres no advice about compresses or anything or diagnosis of MG's or lacrimal etc. But i guess all that you can get from this site. They do measure lacrimal production under anesthesia so if you plenty of tears 10 mm or more- you will know its a evaporative, most probably the Meibomian glands. They may tell you if you have allergies so you can try to eliminate those if so, although this did me no good.

hope that helps.
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Well, I've had the appointment and am pretty disapointed;

After waiting 4 months for this app, I was with the Dr for no longer than 5 minutes. He asked me if drops helped and I said no, he then told me punctual plugs wouldn't help if drops don't. He then just prescribed me some eye drops that I've already tried and told me to come back in 3 months...

I was really hoping they'd fit me with some trial plugs at least - 3 months really is too long for me to wait for another appointment. Does anyone in the UK know if plugs can be fitted by your GP, since I can normally get an appointment in under a week with my local doctors.

Thanks...really fed up now though

Comment

Working...
              X