Vit D Deficiency and Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vit D Deficiency and Pain

When I was diagnosed with ocular and facial rosacea 1.5 years ago, I began slathering on sunscreen everyday and wearing large glasses when I went outside. In August, I developed some muscular pain in my upper back. My internal med doctor ran some tests and my D levels came back as borderline low - 29. Ideal is above 50. I started taking 5,000 IU daily and within about 2 months my back pain went away. I have been reading a great deal about Vitamin D and it turns out that it has an important analgesic function and insufficient levels are associated with lower pain thresholds.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/541927/

So for those of us who have photophobia and cover ourselves, it is important for us to supplement ourselves with Vitamin D for many reasons, but an important one being proper pain responses.

Vitamin D is getting a lot of press and it seems like its benefits are multifold and people in North America are terribly D deficient.

I continue to take 5000 IU daily and supplement my 2 and 4 yos with 1000 IU daily.

I wish everyone a very happy holiday and a pain-free 2010.
    Gretchen

Thanks for posting this Gretchen!

Especially for those of us who are religious about applying sunscreen everyday, and/or live in northern climates where we don't get out as much in winter, I agree that supplementation with Vit. D is a good idea!

However, I believe the upper recommended daily limit for vit. D supplementation is 2000 I.U. (That being said, if one has a confirmed deficiency of this vitamin as in your case, then of course, taking more would be ok since your doctor was no doubt monitoring your vit. D levels.)

Vit. D is a fat soluble vitamin, and therefore it is possible to get toxic levels in the body if one supplements with too much...

Comment

I had low Vit D also (25) and went on the 50,000 IU for one month. I now take 1000 -2000 IU (more in winter). I've been retested while taking the 1000 IU daily and now measure 50. I didn't notice much effect on how I feel---maybe I missed something there....

If you're going to take as much as 5000, be sure your doctor tests for levels, you don't want to over do it. Some people do need more, though.

Calli

Comment

Wow! I was diagnosed with low vit D too and was on 50,000IU for 2 months along with daily doses of 2000 IU. I got my levels back to normal, but haven't felt much of a difference on how I feel. I never thought of the link to pain, but that is interesting since a few of us so far have been tested with deficiency.

Comment

Vitamin D supplementation is a must! I take 5000ius a day and highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't spend time in the sun all year round. The benefits are incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by 03CobraDryEye View Post
            The benefits are incredible.
            What positive changes have you noticed since starting the vit D??

With both yourself and Gretchen having such good results, I'm wondering if maybe I should consider taking a bit more than the 400IU's in my multivitamin!

Comment

Vitamin D is necessary to activate over 2000 gnomes in the body. I noticed an improvement in well being and it has helped me to maintain my current body weight for several months. Many people are Vitamin D deficient because they spend very little time in the sun. Vitamin D supplementation can also reduce the frequency of illness. 5000IUs a day won't hurt an adult. Its one of the most important vitamins that people overlook. If you do come down with sickness, 10,000IUs a day will help while you're fighting off illness. If you spend a lot of time in the sun with your shirt off, then I wouldn't worry one bit about a deficiency. But these days everyone is covering up fearing the sun and not realizing how important sun exposure is for Vitamin D3 production. And in the winter time its just impossible to get enough sun to make a sufficient amount of Vitamin D3.

Comment

Working...
              X