seborrhea dermatitis and MGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seborrhea dermatitis and MGD

I have never been officially diagnosed as having this skin condition but I feel fairly certain that i do have it, and it is strongly connected to my Bleph/ MGD/DE
    I have dandruff badly on and off which i find hard to control
    I have generally a v dry skin and have to use hypo-allergenic dry skin lotions after showering especially arms and legs
    I have a skin condion behind the ears and even inside my ears - they crack and become red and sore - I use vasaline on them which keeps the cracks at bay

The point is i think that is what is affecting my eyelids and causing blepharitis !
    Right from the begining I felt my lids were soo dry and wanted to moisturize them, but everything i used set my eyes off in those early days
    I have found though now, that I can use vasaline successfully on my lids and it really helps
    Can anyone else relate to this and could inceasing oils in the diet help maybe?

Over the last couple of weeks I have had trouble with ear wax build up and that too could be caused by the seb dermatitis - dead skin cells in the outer ears mixes with the wax to form really hard plugs which I have to soften with oil then get syringed -- I HATE having that done !

the question is are all these things coming from the same source Seb dermatitis?

I was diagnosed with seborrhea dermatitis about 6 years ago. I have similar symptoms as you, but mine seem a little less severe. I have always thought there was a link between the dermatitis and my eye symptoms. Logically speaking, it makes good sense that a facial skin condition also has the possibility to irritate the skin on the eyelids as well. Anyone that I have asked about this really doesn't know too much though. On top of that the only thing the dermatologist ever gave me for the dermatitis was some cream that really didn't work too well. One thing that actually has worked for me is using a shampoo that can contains pyrithione zinc. I use Neutrogena, but I think Head n Shoulders uses this as well.

Comment

seborrheic Derm

Hey,

I have seborrheic derm on my brows and scalp (really bad dandruff/yellow stuff).. I tried Nizoral for several weeks and it calmed down, then came back. Tried selsun blue, but it caused some shedding....seemed too harsh. Tried Nizoral again, but wasn't as effective. Then, I read about oil of oregano, a VERY powerful antifungal. I put my regular shampoo (any shampoo will do) and mixed 5-10 drops of the oregano oil with the shampoo in a small bowl. U applied this mix to my wet scalp, massaged it really well, left it for 2 mins, then rinsed off. After ONE application, a TON of dead cell clumps/debris washed out and was also on my face and forehead. It all combed out very easily and my hair looked MUCH better. A few hours later, I ran my finger through my hair vigorously on a piece of white paper and the flakes were pretty much non-existant. i was amazed. i tried it 2 days ago. I was so close to going to a barber to have my head shaved, but I think I reconsidered. You might want to look into this and give it a try!

Marc.

Comment

Thanks for replies u guys
        Do you take omega 3 orally ?
        I'm trying to figure out anything that will help these different manifestations of seb dermatitis at source
        Actually instead of the omega 3 perhaps we should be taking the actual oil or even as well as omega 3 it might be worth trying a table spoon of olive oil +tablespoon of sunflower oil (omega 6) everyday
        I have a very low fat diet - to keep my weight down
        I wonder if that contributes to seb derm ?

Comment

Vitamin D

You may also consider vitamin D (drops or pills). A lot of people admit that the seborrhea gets better when the sun is in full swing compared to the colder months. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm giving anything that will act as a silver bullet for this seb derm a try.

-Marc.

Comment

I wonder how much D to take - I understand it is one of the vitamins you can overdose on

Comment

vitamin D

you prob can. But I guess 2,000 IU is probably more than enough. I saw these drops at the vitamin shoppe...Carlson D sunshine drops. Each drop with 2,000 IU of vitamin D. This may be enough. People with severe conditions out there take more than 10,000 IU per day but I'd prob talk to a doctor first before trying such a thing. Good luck if you decide to try this route!

-Marc.

Comment

Working...
              X