Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what make of fish oil does everybody use???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what make of fish oil does everybody use???

Hi

well ive just found out im not takin enough EPA or DHA in the fish oil i have.
    but ive been searching for something that contains 1600-1800 EPA and 1000-1200 dha but im struggling to find anything.

ive only been takin 300 and no wonder i feel no difference.

any recommendations please if prefable ones from the UK only because of the post and packaging may cost a fortune from overseas.

any help would be great

thank you

Ascenta health fish oils

Ascenta health fish oils: http://www.ascentahealth.co.uk/

For test results on their products, see http://www.ascentahealth.co.uk/reports/sample

Comment

brill thank you that looks like what im after

will have a proper read now

thank you

Comment

I just came to the same conclusion as you Kate... my fish oil supp only has 300mg of omega 3's per capsule too. Hopefully taking something a bit stronger will work better!

Thanks for posting that link spmcc!

Comment

I don't mean to be negative, but I don't think fish oil is a solution to MGD, i don't think it improves oil production much if at all, at least not enough that it's worth taking. If you take too high a dose of fish oil, all it provides you is an upset stomach and burpy fish taste. I've already seen consistent result with a new treatment I've been using for the last 3 or so weeks, And it's nutrition, the benefits I've experienced, are my tear production has gone from lack of tears and dryness(along with my meibomian gland dysfunction), to normal tear production again...my eyes have been consistently wet for over 3 weeks now. not much fluxuation at all..they are consistently producing more tears. they haven't felt this good in years...their starting to feel like before i ever had MGD. My Meibomian Gland Dysfunction has also improved, we'll see if it completely fixed my meibomian glands. my eyelids don't become inflamed chronically anymore, only once in a while i'll have a slight burning in the eyelids, and then i disappears quickly..i've seen much improvement, if this works, I am looking into another nutritional treatment I've been researching which I am hoping can correct the Oil production problem.. I've already found the cause for lack of tear production, (it's not vitamin A, but it is a simple thing, I would have never guessed it, I accidently stumbled upon it, unintentionally) I'll share it after i experiment with a few other things for a bit, I want to write a document about my findings, and it will explain why the treatment works, but I need to find the entire cause of the Oil production problem, I've already seen much improvement in oil consistency but It is not completely "solved" yet..

im telling you, I'm really on to something here..maybe the entire solution or complete fix for this disease isn't too far off..I'm so excited by my findings, cause I unintentionally stubbled upon it... and it is simple...

rhad

Comment

Rhad

I know you dont wana say but im sooooo intreged as im sure many people will be.
            from what youve said and how much youve improved that is amazing.
            i would do anything to feel like that.

please please keep in touch and i really hope you can mention what you are doin now quite soon hehe,its the desperation of finding a cure.

only reason im desperate to find a decent fish oil is i lack in oil i aapprently have tears but an extremly thin lipid layer but no block glands but have slight inflammtion so i feel like i should be takin in more oil but im not sure now.

im so confused in what to take and what to do for the best

but well done on doing all this investigation im all ears for when you have the results

Comment

hi saag

if you find anything more suitable please let me know and i will the same,i am waiting for Dr Lange to help me with this query to so hopefuly he may recommend something

its all so confusing on what you should or shouldnt take

Comment

fish oils from Ascenta health

I don't want to imply that all I do is take fish oils for my dry eyes/MGD.

I recently made a list of things I am doing or have tried. The list (so far and in no particular order) includes:

*Dry Eye Zone webgroup
                *night goggles/masks/tape - Tranquileyes
                *daytime protective glasses & sunglasses - 7Eye/Panoptx, Wiley X, Seefit
                *scleral lenses (Dr. Gemoules at Coppell Family Eyecare, Texas)
                *compresses & rice baggies
                *lid scrubs
                *lid massage & MG expressor kit
                *four punctal plugs
                *steroid drops - pred forte, durezol, lotemax, alrex
                *antibiotic ointments - pentamycetin/HC
                *azasite
                *restasis/cyclosporine drops
                *NSAID drops - nevanac, voltaren, acuvail, acular
                *OTC drops - artelac
                *allergy drops - OTC, patanol, zaditor
                *Dwelle
                *autologous serum drops
                *IPL / PDL / RFL
                *doxycycline
                *salagen
                *DHEA drops and topicals
                *thyroid meds
                *vit A, ocuvite vitamins
                *vit D, calcium, mag, probiotics, iron, fish oils (Ascenta health NutraSea-hp)
                *diet changes
                ******* probing - right upper lid
                *humidifier / avoid wind, heated air, fluorescent lights
                *stopped taking meds that dry the eyes - PPIs, BC pills, anti-dep, anti-hist, pain pills, sleeping pills, etc. anything that has dry mouth and/or constipation as side-effect

All in a day's work...
                Good luck,
                Sheila

Comment

rhad,

can you tell us what your new regimen is to combat dry eye?

Comment

originally posted by rhad:
                    im telling you, I'm really on to something here..maybe the entire solution or complete fix for this disease isn't too far off..I'm so excited by my findings, cause I unintentionally stubbled upon it... and it is simple...
                    As a veteran of dry eye research, bulletin boards and also a longtime sufferer of dry eye, this kind of "I may have a solution" tease -without any real information- irritates me. If you are having positive results from something, share.
                    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Carlson's

Kate,

Try Carlson's Very Finest Fish oil, in the glass bottle. Refrigerate it after you open it. Get the lemon flavored. It mixes well with OJ (virtually undetectable) and I drop some mycellized vitamin A into the cocktail as well. Take your fish oil/OJ shot with a vitamin C tablet and a high-count vitamin D3 capsule (over 1,000 IUs if you can find it).

- Rose
                      Last edited by Sammy B.; 28-Jan-2010, 19:40. Reason: typo

Comment

thank you all for your ideas im goin to search for them to see which i can get hold of.

shelia-im really amazed at how much you do and hope it makes a difference

thanks again

kate

Comment

I LOVE my FOUR plugs (2 did nothing for me), steroid drops for emergency (happens too often), restasis (I stopped it for a bit and noticed my eyes got worse), and any sunglasses/goggles for inside/outside day or night (but esp my Tranquileyes at night). Also stopping meds that cause dryness helped a lot.

I cannot tolerate my sclerals (after all that money!!!), any heat (I have rosacea), scrubs (my lids feel raw after just 1 time), salagen (side-effect is flushing), and ointments/gels or too many OTC drops. I stick to OTC artelac which my ophthalmologist gets for me through her Baush & Lomb rep... the drops I get come from Germany (I'm in Canada where artelac is no longer sold... the same as the US).

Anyway, I admit, for quite a while, I was doing too much and I stopped doing some things even tho my doctor told me that I should continue (e.g., with heat/compresses/rice baggies and scrubs).

I had to listen to my eyes!

It is all trial and error.

Good luck,
                          Sheila

Comment

I was diagnosed with ocular rosacea in 1996. It happened after a short course of trying accutane for rosacea. In those days, ophthalmologists told me to use diluted baby shampoo on a q-tip and swipe the inside of my eye lids... it hurt!

Over the years, my ophthalmologists have told me I have: ocular rosacea, MGD, aqueous deficiency. I've had Schirmer's of 0 in both eyes since around 2003 (at some points, I have gone up to 3... that was after first starting restasis. However, most times, I get Schirmer's of 0 in both eyes).

Even tho I have staples on that list (4 plugs, restasis, steroid drops, glasses/goggles), I also do/use IPL, vitamins/fish oil/ocuvite, diet changes, humidifier (esp in winter) and more.

I like to keep that list because if any doctor asks me what I do for my eyes, I *always* forget something that's key. So, that list is for my old memory...

Cheers,
                            Sheila

Comment

best fish oil

is Res Q. Gives you the biggest bang per dosage. I take 2 per day and the reflux is minimal to nothing. expensive though.

Comment

Working...
                              X