Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alcohol and dry eyes

hello,

i dont know how to explain this, cause i guess it might be so ethical, but whenever my eyes are sore and I have a glass or two glasses of wine,.... my eyes get a lot better.... guess, I/we cant become alcoholics... but... sometimes its nice and: its only white wine, red wine makes my eyes get sore, eyen if they have been great before.....

regards!!!!

Originally posted by Alexandra View Post
    hello,

i dont know how to explain this, cause i guess it might be so ethical, but whenever my eyes are sore and I have a glass or two glasses of wine,.... my eyes get a lot better.... guess, I/we cant become alcoholics... but... sometimes its nice and: its only white wine, red wine makes my eyes get sore, eyen if they have been great before.....

regards!!!!
    Alexandra,
    I totally agree! I have been saying that alcohol actually helps my eyes for a while now. I rarely drink, but when I go out for dinner, I like to wear my contacts. Well, contacts end up hurting my eyes. BUT...if I have a glass or two of wine...my eyes are okay!!! I want to wear my contacts for my upcoming wedding and my fiance and I have joked that I may have to drink all day to be able to wear them!

Comment

This is very interesting! I've never been a big drinker... but I do enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine on the weekend once in a while. However, since my dry eye flare up started last year, I've been avoiding alcohol completely, because I was worried it would dry out my eyes even MORE.

Do you guys think the wine might have helped just because it made you more relaxed? ie... maybe because you were relaxed you didn't notice your eyes as much

or

Do you guys think your eyes were actually wetter?

Comment

haha the only time i can wear my contacts is when i drink... in fact, i hate taking out my lenses at the end of the night cause my eyes immediately feel much worse with them out than in. strangely it really seems to withdraw the pain, but i have a feeling that's just the alcohol working on your brain neurotransmitters to trick you. i cant see the harm in doing it every once in a while, but i cant imagine every day would be good

Comment

Haha SAAG,

I agree. I would argue that alcohol just dulls the senses, so you don't notice anything as much. It's hard to imagine how alcohol could actually help dry eyes since it dehydrates the body like caffeine. That said, I fully support the idea of an occasional drink to two to forget about the eyes and just have fun. Even if alcohol temporarily exacerbates the problem, my eyes are already so dry that I don't notice a significant difference anyway!

Comment

My eyes feel better while I am having a drink or two, but they definitely feel worse the next day. Like most of you I don't drink that often, but it is good to go out every now then and have a good time.

Comment

It's good to read you guys are enjoying an occasional cocktail or glass of wine. As we have all read, alcohol usually makes dry eyes worse, but if a drink makes you "think less" or "forget about" your eyes, then do it.

I would definitely think that a glass of wine would not cause a big next morning eye regret.
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I agree with the wine thing. I drink a glass of wine at dinner, and it definitely makes my eyes feel better. Perhaps the antioxidants in the wine.... No matter - it's all good.

Melissa
                pianolady

Comment

Hello

Could be the relaxation effect of alcohol - I have OCD and when I have a few I tend to forget about it - unless you drink too much - then the opposite

Comment

Howdry---that sounds totally logical to me. Lucy
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                    X