Fish and flaxseed oil spoiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish and flaxseed oil spoiling

I began taking omega 3 supplement 3 weeks ago. Everything was fine until about two days ago my chest feels like its burning whenever i take them and my stomach has not felt to great. Looking up online i found out this stuff spoils very quickly and could become toxic. I was advised to open a capsule to see if it is spoiled. It did smell pretty bad i dont know because i dont like fish to begin with. This was a gnc brand, i find gnc stuff work very well.

There is no vitamin E in them which apparently helps them keep longer.

So i decided to order thera tear nutrition since it received great reviews online, and it seems like they really did there research and it also has vitamin E in it.

My question though, is do many of you who take this have issues with it. The past two days it seemed to really burn my chest (thats the best explanation or description i can give)

I notice some websites say to refrigerate it, is this really necessary or helpful? I like to keep my vitamins by my bed so i dont forget to take them.

One thing I would advise you is not to take the capsules (or vitamins for that matter) just before lying down for the night. This can let the stomach juices get up into your esophagus, which will cause burning.
    That burning can cause a pain in the chest.

Also, take them with food, I try to take mine about half way through a meal so that there is food "on top" of them. Taking them after a meal is fine if you don't get the "burp" from them
    Many vitamins require a certain amount of fat in the stomach with them to properly absorb.

I have never had a problem with them spoiling.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by magoo; 12-Apr-2010, 09:22. Reason: typo

Comment

Have you ever had problems with heart burn or acid reflux?

You can keep it in the fridge which would help with spoiling but I don't think thats whats going on here. The gelcaps are usually fine kept at room temperature and don't spoil before the bottle is empty, but if you buy the liquids that needs to be refrigerated.
      *I just would like to add the disclaimer that I do not suffer from dry eye myself; my service dog does. I want to stay up on treatments, and offer support to others!

Comment

No never had anything like that. Everything was fine for 3 weeks, but it just seems like my chest hurts, nothing really else. Nothing serious or any other side effect.

I take alot of other vitamins and have no issue (large multivitamins) beta carotene, ect.. and dont have any issues and have taken them for some time.

And everything was fine up until 2 days ago. It almost felt like the capsules were lodged in my chest and not going down, my chest still kind of hurts like the capsules got stuck in there but i assume they should be digested somehow by now.

Comment

Sounds like acid reflux, indigestion, or even gall bladder problem. If OTC meds don't help, maybe a GP visit is in order. Hope you feel better.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I still say lying down and going to sleep after taking vitamins or anything like that can eventually cause problems.
            Stomach acid mixed with the pills, on an empty stomach, especially, can cause burning if not erosion of the lower esophagus. Acid reflux. Very painful.
            Last edited by magoo; 13-Apr-2010, 10:04. Reason: clarification

Comment

Hi

I would suggest Carlson's or Nordic Naturals - a bit more expensive but better quality. Also, you really SHOULD refrigerate these oils! Also, try taking the caps with food (cottage cheese helps you to digest these oils, I believe) but just taking them with a snack or meal should help

Comment

Working...
              X