high fat diets and inflammation in the body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high fat diets and inflammation in the body

There was an interesting article in the newspaper this morning... it was a study on people with asthma, but since that is an inflammatory disease (as dry eye often is), it caught my attention...

In a nutshell, the researchers found that eating a high fat meal increased the release of pro-inflammatory molecules in the body...

Since dry eye tends to involve inflammation, this was of interest to me... one more reason to try and follow Dr. Latkany's advice in his book and eat a healthy diet.

They only studied a relatively small number of people, but still... it's food for thought!... bad pun... I know...

Read the same article and found myself wondering the same thing. Keep my eyeballs ... give up burgers and fries ... keep my eyeballs ... give up burgers and fries. ... God, I'm gonna miss my eyeballs.

Comment

Another anti-inflammation dietary "craze" is to go Gluten-Free. Everybody's talking about it everywhere.

I pay attention to this stuff because I have Sjogren's (an inflammatory condition) and have been GF for 2 1/2 years. I am doing much better with my dry eyes since I started, but don't really know if it's attributable to GF or not. I'm used to eating this way now---I don't feel "deprived" any more.

Many integrative and naturopathic doctors are recommending that people try a gluten-free diet for several weeks to see if they feel better for it.

C

Comment

Originally posted by RobLIC View Post
        Read the same article and found myself wondering the same thing. Keep my eyeballs ... give up burgers and fries ... keep my eyeballs ... give up burgers and fries. ... God, I'm gonna miss my eyeballs.
        That made me laugh.

Comment

Me too!

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
            Another anti-inflammation dietary "craze" is to go Gluten-Free. Everybody's talking about it everywhere.

I pay attention to this stuff because I have Sjogren's (an inflammatory condition) and have been GF for 2 1/2 years. I am doing much better with my dry eyes since I started, but don't really know if it's attributable to GF or not. I'm used to eating this way now---I don't feel "deprived" any more.

Many integrative and naturopathic doctors are recommending that people try a gluten-free diet for several weeks to see if they feel better for it.

C
            I've heard that too... not ready to try it myself... but who knows... maybe some day!

Comment

Another craze besides gluten-free that might have something to it:
              omega 3 oils... they're suspected to be anti-inflammatory.

Comment

I wouldn't call omega 3s a "craze" because its something that has been supported in scientifc studies. They DO have anti inflammatory effects.
                *I just would like to add the disclaimer that I do not suffer from dry eye myself; my service dog does. I want to stay up on treatments, and offer support to others!

Comment

I agree---the last 3 eye doctors I have been to told me to take Omega 3 EFA (I take the fish oil kind).

I sometimes read the Mark Hyman, M.D. blogs---marketing-oriented for sure (programs, supplement sales) but valuable (to me) as a reminder of current dietary and integrative medicine approaches to better health.

I'm usually interested in the articles that talk about gut function and how it affects the immune system and inflammation.

C

Comment

calli are you familiar with GLA in addition to fish oils? GLA is an omega 6, but studies show that it has anti inflammatory effects and when used in combination with omegs 3s it works better than the GLA or omega 3s alone. I started a thread on it but didn't get any replies! I probably should have posted it in the nutritional area.
                    *I just would like to add the disclaimer that I do not suffer from dry eye myself; my service dog does. I want to stay up on treatments, and offer support to others!

Comment

I don't know anything about GLA. Had always heard Omega3 was the one, not Omega 6. I'll look into it.

Thanks,

C

Comment

Please Delete this message
                        Last edited by Plat; 19-May-2010, 17:00.

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post

C
                          My daughter and I eat gluten-free. It's much easier than it sounds and very rewarding. Really helps you eat more good stuff and less bad stuff in general. And I'm not a particularly disciplined type of person at all so if I can do it anyone can. No matter what I'm allowing myself or not, I'll find something to overindulge in, but at least now I'm overindulging in things that are better for me.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Plat, could you post that in my GLA thread? I would really like to get a conversation going.

Comment

Working...
                            X