Softening agents in capsules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Softening agents in capsules

As many other people here I have taken to swallowing my daily dose of omega- 3 capsules. I am not absolutely sure if it helps my eyes but I still felt good about it. However, yesterday I read a worrying article in a German magazine about softening agents (phthalates) in the skin/shell (right word?) of many dietary supplement capsules. They can be found in the urine of people who take such supplements regularly. The effect they have on the human body resembles that of oestrogen. Absurdly enough, while many of these softening agents have been banned from plastic products like toys, kitchen equipment and various wrappings produced in the European Union they are still tolerated in cosmetics and in medical capsules in the EU.
    Pharmacists have access to data banks containing information about the use of phthalates in medicines. So I will buy my next box of omega-3s at the pharmacy, not at the drugstore.
    All in all this shows again that there is nothing like a healthy balanced diet of fresh food.
Working...
X