Can fish oil cause eye blood vessels to burst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can fish oil cause eye blood vessels to burst

does anyone know? I don't have a medical condition like high blood pressure or diabetes that would cause this. It is just in my right eye. I read something about different medications that can cause this. And the only thing I take is Theratears. I haven't had any vision problem b/c of it.

yes, i have read that increasing omega 3 intake can make blood vessels more susceptible to bursting. i found this out after i had this happen to me. i woke up with a BRIGHT red area on my eye and it took about a week to go away. then about 2 months later it happened again.

i read that vitamin c can strengthen the walls of the blood vessels, so try increasing your vitamin c intake to counter act the omega 3's.

Comment

Originally posted by ema View Post
      yes, i have read that increasing omega 3 intake can make blood vessels more susceptible to bursting. i found this out after i had this happen to me. i woke up with a BRIGHT red area on my eye and it took about a week to go away. then about 2 months later it happened again.

i read that vitamin c can strengthen the walls of the blood vessels, so try increasing your vitamin c intake to counter act the omega 3's.
      thank you all so much for your replies. I read that too about Vitamin C which I started taking last night. Do you think 500 mg a day is enough?

Thanks again !!!!

Comment

The burst blood vessels you're describing are called "subconjunctival hemorrhages." They occur among the many small and fragile blood vessels in the eye's conjunctiva, the clear membrane that covers the whites of the eyes and lubricates and protects the eyeball.

When one of these tiny blood vessels bursts, you will notice a bright red or dark patch on the whites of your eyes. A blood vessel can burst as a result of any number of normal, trivial occurrences - sneezing, coughing, straining, crying, vomiting, rubbing your eyes, but most of the time, no obvious cause can be identified. There are rarely any other symptoms, although sometimes you may feel some pain or mild irritation.

Consult your doctor if you experience pain in connection with a subconjunctival hemorrhage, if you notice any changes in vision, have a history of a bleeding disorder or high blood pressure, or have injured your eye.

Comment

I want to bring up this thread again. I dont know if its a result of omega 3 or not, but i have two bright red blood vessels that go from the inner corner of my eye by my nose (that red part of the corner of your eye) to the center. It started to happen when I began taking omega 3. But i dont think I can blame omega 3 at least not for sure. Would omega 3 be causing this or would it make a red patch instead of showing 2 individual vessels that stand out lately.

Comment

I have also had this problem. Blood thinners of any kind can contribute to this problem. When I had my vessel burst, I had been taking Gingko Biloba along with omegas, so I've quit the Gingko.

Comment

Eyeproblems - a burst blood vessel causes a large patch of red across the eyeball - I've had them before as well as both my parents. I've been told by my docs that what you're describing (visible blood vessels - I have several now) is from irritation and/or inflammation. ie - dryness, allergies, blepharitis, ocular rosacea, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X