Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what food & drink are good for ocular rosacea

I can't really find any good information on this surfing the net

I would think it's more a case of what to avoid; hot or spicy foods, vinegar, alcohol etc Everyone will have their own triggers.

Foods to eat would be whole grains, seeds, nuts and plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit. Chicken and fish are preferable to red meats. Drink plenty of water

Comment

no sugar

It has helped me immensely to cut out sugar from my diet completely. It was very difficult for some days as I used to have a sweet tooth but that has been pulled. I first suspected sugar when I had badly burning eyes a day after eating an unusual amount of various sweets. So I gave a low sugar diet a try and when that brought about positive results I stopped eating it altogether. Well, I still eat fruit but prefer vegetables. I feel I would have even better results cutting down on white bread etc. but so far I haven`t got round to that.

Comment

vinegar is bad?? like on salads?
        Jenny

Comment

Not necessarily `bad' - but it can be a potential trigger for some people

Comment

there is a whole list of foods that could potentially trigger rosacea which i would assume also trigger ocular rosacea. go to http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php

hmm..not sure if you can click on the link or if you will have to copy and paste. at any rate, not all of these will be a trigger for everyone. for me i know that citrus for sure is a trigger for me and i have avoided alcohol completely. also, really hot temps. cause my face to get really red, this has happened my whole life even though the rosacea and ocular rosacea only appeared about 2 years ago. (i suspect is was pre-rosacea)

try eliminating these foods and then slowly incorporate them into your diet again...keeping a food journal may help.

hope this helps!

Comment

thanks. this does help.
              Jenny

Comment

I've just looked at that site - the Rosacea Triggers Survey is interesting. High on the list is emotional stress.

Now why doesn't this surprise me?

Comment

Fats - clogged meibomian glands

We have also gone very low fats, esp animal, no red meat, no dairy, but plenty fish, nuts, seeds, occasional chicken - on the basis that the Omega 3 oils she takes need to get ascendence in the metabolism to get the MGs unclogged. At first my quack alert kept going off but we're really into this now (dermatology journals are full of this stuff this year, also see Journal of Clinical Nutrition). I can smell sebaceous change on the skin, and see when sugars flare redness, including fruit esp citrus. Now thinking about yeast (persistent cradle cap, Malassezia furfur in past). Old face products (Simple range, Cetaphil) are now looking too harsh. This diet approach really helps.
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
                  X