Is there a link to low-carb diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a link to low-carb diet?

As a mother of adolescent girls I have been reading about the link between high GI foods (white bread, desserts, sweets etc) and acne. Those foods stimulate insulin production which in turn stimulates testosterone. The testosterone makes the skin oilier and leads to pimples. Teens put on low GI diets can reduce their acne by 50%.

So, I thought about the reverse. If you eat more high GI foods, can you boost your own testosterone levels, and will the increased oil production help stabilise the tear film, leading to greater eye comfort?

In 2007, not long after I first starting experiencing dry eyes, I travelled to France and was pleasantly surprised to find my eyes were much better than before. At the time I thought maybe there was more ambient humidity, but now I'm thinking that it could be due to white bread at every meal!

I know how some of you suffer with your eyes and I thought this was something worth trying to see if it gave any relief. The worst that could happen would bit a bit of weight gain......

I have since hit the menopause and gone onto bio-identical hormones (including DHEA 5mg/day, which converts to testosterone in the body). My scalp and skin became oilier straight away, and my dry eyes are now enormously improved. There does seem to be a definite connection, at least for post-menopausal women, between testosterone levels and dry eyes. I just today find an article on the internet confirming this, by Dr Jeffrey Dach MD.

http://jeffreydach.com/2010/03/19/te...y-dach-md.aspx

I hope this will be of benefit to someone.

Thank you, I found this and the link really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kezza View Post
      As a mother of adolescent girls I have been reading about the link between high GI foods (white bread, desserts, sweets etc) and acne. Those foods stimulate insulin production which in turn stimulates testosterone. The testosterone makes the skin oilier and leads to pimples. Teens put on low GI diets can reduce their acne by 50%.

So, I thought about the reverse. If you eat more high GI foods, can you boost your own testosterone levels, and will the increased oil production help stabilise the tear film, leading to greater eye comfort?

In 2007, not long after I first starting experiencing dry eyes, I travelled to France and was pleasantly surprised to find my eyes were much better than before. At the time I thought maybe there was more ambient humidity, but now I'm thinking that it could be due to white bread at every meal!

I know how some of you suffer with your eyes and I thought this was something worth trying to see if it gave any relief. The worst that could happen would bit a bit of weight gain......

I have since hit the menopause and gone onto bio-identical hormones (including DHEA 5mg/day, which converts to testosterone in the body). My scalp and skin became oilier straight away, and my dry eyes are now enormously improved. There does seem to be a definite connection, at least for post-menopausal women, between testosterone levels and dry eyes. I just today find an article on the internet confirming this, by Dr Jeffrey Dach MD.

http://jeffreydach.com/2010/03/19/te...y-dach-md.aspx

I hope this will be of benefit to someone.
      Thanks for this info. I have been aware of the androgen connection, but I did not know that insulin encouraged testosterone. Interesting.

Comment

That is interesting and maybe it is true for some types of DES. I naturally have an over-abundance of testosterone and have severe DES. My DES actually worsened when i went on birth control pills. It also worsened again when I discontinued the birth control pills. Go figure.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Working...
        X