Doesn't fish oil thin the blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't fish oil thin the blood

My GP dr. recommended I start taking baby aspirin daily, which I started. I had been taking TheraTears Fish Oil and wondered if taking both things would thin my blood too much. I do intend to ask my dr. next time I go, but in the meantime, do you have any experience with this.

My husband takes both aspirin 75mgs(paediatric dose) and a high strenth fish oil capsule every day
    He takes both for heart health and has taken this combination for the last 15 years without any problems
    Problems only arise if you need sugery - then ideally you should stop both for approx 3 weeks
    He had emmergency surgery once and he told the surgon what he was taking and they had platelets ready for him if he needed it - he did'nt need them

Comment

The omega 3's in the fish oil have anti-platelet activity and therefore will add to the blood thinning effect of Aspirin. It would be a good idea to let your doc know that you are also taking the omega 3's.

Many people can take both together, but if you notice any signs of excessive blood thinning effects you should stop the fish oil until you have a chance to speak with your doctor.

Signs of excessive blood thinning effect include: bruising much more easily than normal, nosebleeds and cuts that don't stop bleeding in a normal amount of time etc. If in doubt, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
      X