Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish oils and others

Greetings friends,

I am wondering whether those of you who take Omega-3 fish oil supplements, such as Theratears, take also Evening primrose oil, borage oil etc.

I am taking Theratears but I think I need all the help that I can get right now, so I purchased some evening primrose oil capsules to try.

Just wanted to make sure that it's safe to combine the two, Theratears was thinning my blood too much in the past and giving me nosebleeds. That has stopped now, but if evening primrose has a similar effect I might think twice about combining the two.

Thanks for any input,

Cristina

I have taken all three in the past with no side effects to my knowledge!

Comment

I took Omega 3 and also Oil of Evening Primrose for a number of years and cannot recall having any adverse effects. I stick to Omega 3 supplements now - just because I want to keep things simple. I include a lot of oily fish in my diet anyway - plus broccoli, spinach and avocados.

However, I read somewhere that Evening Primrose can increase the chance of bleeding and bruising, both of which could complicate an existing bleeding disorder. This would matter if you were having surgery in the near future.

I found this link that might be useful in helping you decide:

http://www.nutritional-supplement-ed...e-effects.html

Comment

Thank you for your replies, friends! I think I'll stick with omega-3s only for a while, since they do sound more promising anyway. Maybe I could switch to evening primrose only for a month and see the difference.

Cristina

Comment

Omega 6 in EPO>>>

can be pro-inflammatory for some so be careful... Most of us get too many omega 6's and not enough 3's...

Comment

Out of curiousity, how many milligrams of omega 3 are there in Theratears?

What effect is Evening Primrose Oil supposed to have? My optician recommended I take fish oils, but I've never heard of the optical benefits of Evening Primrose Oil.

Just on a side note, if anyone is taking supplements its really important to mention it to doctors/ surgeons etc before starting new treatments or undergoing surgery. I know I always forget to consider 'supplements' as 'medication' - but they can have a real effect on blood thinning etc.
            The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Originally posted by Súil Eile View Post
              Out of curiousity, how many milligrams of omega 3 are there in Theratears?

What effect is Evening Primrose Oil supposed to have? My optician recommended I take fish oils, but I've never heard of the optical benefits of Evening Primrose Oil.

Just on a side note, if anyone is taking supplements its really important to mention it to doctors/ surgeons etc before starting new treatments or undergoing surgery. I know I always forget to consider 'supplements' as 'medication' - but they can have a real effect on blood thinning etc.
              for every serving size (3 capsules)
              omega 3
              epa 450mg
              dha 300mg

I have never heard of any optical benefits for primrose oil yet but i guess it's worth a try if there are successful testimonials

I would still mention the supplements to the doctor although they would most likely say there's no scientific evidence in its effective though there's no harm in trying
              If only I had known, I would have taken better care of my eyes....... I want to turn back the hands of time

Comment

EPO contains Omega-6. As far as I'm aware, hard evidence for its use is still lacking.

Here is a link to a list of some conditions it is meant to help. I didn't take it to help my eyes.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eve...CTION=evidence

Comment

If EPO contains omega 6, then u probably shouldn't take it. One of the hypothesis for dry eyes is that western diets contain too much omega 6 which doesnt help inflammation. Omega 3 has anti inflammatory properties.

Maybe you should try taking antioxidants instead. I am doing that now and i have read that it helps marginal dry eyes to improve ocular surface and TBUT. I dont know if it works for moderate to severe dry eyes but its worth a try
                  If only I had known, I would have taken better care of my eyes....... I want to turn back the hands of time

Comment

Working...
                  X