Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish oil - what is the best type to buy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish oil - what is the best type to buy?

Does anyone know if it really makes a difference what brand/kind of fish oil you use? I have heard that you need to get the oils from fish that live in the coldest waters and that you need to have certain amounts of EPA and DHA. That the oil should not come from the tail of the fish.

My doctor said I could take up to 4000 mg a day, currently I am on 3,600 mg a day. That is 3 pills and I take them all at one time. Is that okay? Is there anything that I should or should not consume with the fish oil?

Optometrist I went to sold me (robbed me -way too expensive) fish oil pills which I have been taking 2,000 mg/day. I am looking at the ingredients and it says "purified deep sea fish oil from anchovies and sardines." Well, the opth that I just saw wants me on flax seed oil pills (gel caps) made by Barleans $10.99/100. 1,000 mg strength - one pill twice per day. Do not use Flax Seed Oil if you are on Coumadin or Tamoxifen. Refrigerate, take with food. That is what I am picking up tomorrow and starting. I am getting off the fish oil...was told fish oil and flax seed oil can cause stomach upset. I don't know the specific amounts of what EPA and DHA should be but the ones I have been taking (which do not seem to do anything) say EPA-650 mg and DHA-450 mg. Have you ever used Flax Seed Oil and if so, what did you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Trac View Post
      Does anyone know if it really makes a difference what brand/kind of fish oil you use? I have heard that you need to get the oils from fish that live in the coldest waters and that you need to have certain amounts of EPA and DHA. That the oil should not come from the tail of the fish.
      That's all correct about the source, and I would add that freshness is a big deal as a great deal of fish oil capsules on the shelves these days are probably rancid before you even get them home. Personally I would go for a really good liquid fish oil instead of capsules and make sure it's as fresh as possible. Carlsons is supposed to be very good. They make liquid fish oils (and flaxseed oils) MUCH more palatable these days.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I am on an anti-inflammatory program for other disorders in addition to my DES. One of my docs told me to take a Fish Oil supplement that has the highest possible doses of both EPA and DHA, and to take 4000 mg/day (as close to 500 mg of each as possible). He said the 4000 mg/day is the maximum safe dose. The one brand I found that has the max of both EPA and DHA is Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega. I get the lemon, 1000 mg/dose. I order it online but I also found it locally at major supplements chain store. It was a store clerk that recommended this particular brand for the high doses of both EPA and DHA. I personally would not take more than 2000 mg/day without being under a doctor's supervision.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

The Nordic Natural is what I am on (until I am off and go to Flax...) the Pro Omega and it was sold to me by an optometrist. Just curious...what did you pay? Mine is 60 @ 1,000 mg and I bought it without looking around...he had said it takes at least 3 months to see any difference High priced. Not a savvy shopper, me! As I said in earlier post, EPA -650 and DHA 450. I will give Flax 6 weeks to see any difference. If nothing may go back to the fish oil. Anyone have any commments on flax vs fish oil?

Comment

I take both fish oil, 3600 mg all at one time and ground flax seed, not the pills. Sometimes I think I can feel the difference if I miss a day of either; which could be why I felt so bad yesterday. The pain was not super intense, but nothing seemed to help for more than 15 minutes, not even serum, which is unusual. My opthamologist says flax seed does not help as much as fish oil because it is a plant and has to be broken down twice before your body can use it. I like the taste of flax seed and it fills me up when I have a craving for food, but I not that hungry. Also my cholesterol levels are very good, my nutritionist says that is due to all of the omega 3 I take.

I get whatever fish oil is on sale at the grocery store, so I am not sure I am doing the right thing. My doctor prescribed an omega 3 for me, but my insurance company will not pay for it because I don't have high triglycerides.

Comment

The only thing I was told about fish oil pills (by first opth) was that the two things that mattered were the DHA and EPA. That's it. No elaboration. Looking @ the bottle it says 70% omega-3. I have no clue what this even means...

Comment

Got to love them doctors. My rheumatologist told me my Vit D level was very low, 16, and normal is 40-100. She told me to go on supplements. The supplements range from 1000iu to 5000iu, quiet a difference and since Vit D is fat soluble the extra does not go away it builds up in your body and can become toxic. I was hoping the Vit D deficiency was the missing link in my dry eye saga, but it is not. My Vit D level rose to 70 in 3 months with supplements of 5000 iu a day, but my eyes are still dry.

Comment

Originally posted by neve View Post
                  The Nordic Natural is what I am on (until I am off and go to Flax...) the Pro Omega and it was sold to me by an optometrist. Just curious...what did you pay? Mine is 60 @ 1,000 mg and I bought it without looking around...
                  I pay about $60 for 180 softgels of 1000 mg each.
                  Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Well, no big surprise there...I paid $25 for 60. Today, picked up flax seed and paid 11.50 for 100...hope it helps!

Comment

Working...
                    X