This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLA oil source for dry eye

I have frequently purchased health products from this manufacturer and been very pleased. She also responds to her emails and offers useful suggestions. When I asked her about a treatment for dry eye, she responded with the following message about borage oil.

Fish oil has NO GLA. Evening primrose delivers 8% GLA so you get very little. And Flax seed oil has NO GLA. So you are probably getting very little. You need 1000 to 1500mg of GLA. Borage contains 24% GLA. When you buy the product most companies only tell you what the total oil amount is not the GLA amount. My product has 500mg of GLA per serving. Yes I deal with tons of women in menopause who develop this problem. It is also because at menopause you stop making any GLA from your food. So you don't have to have eye surgery to develop it - just being in menopause makes you GLA deficient. That is also why you wrinkle and get skin rashes more so after menopause.

You need GLA and lots of it.

Thanks Lorna

Lorna Vanderhaeghe, MS
    to past talk shows and read my FREE books at www.hormonehelp.com

Does anyone here have any information to share about dry eyes and borage oil? It sounds promising.

I cannot take Borage Oil. Puts me in a coma. Other ideas?

How much does menopause suck?

Comment

What is Borage oil? What is GLA? I know what menopause is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Mewkiss,

Curious, are you allergic to borage oil? I am going to give it a try to see if it helps with dry eye.

Menopause . . . The key I think is to develop a healthy lifestyle and healthy stress reducing practices in your 30s and 40s. I believe that with menopause, stress becomes manifested in hot flashes / night sweats. If you already cope well, are healthy, than I would think you would be less affected by the accompanying effects of this stage of life. Don't wait till you get there to start learning to manage stress. . . easier said than done . . . especially when life throws you a curve ball, like dry eye.

Comment

Not sure. I have the same problem with fish oil. Had it for years.

I have no problems with menopause. I also grew up with no one talking about getting old and how much it sucked. Surprise! I think a lot is heredity. I just started taking Green Lipped Mussles for my omega-3 and so far my hips feel great so for that alone I'll keep taking it.

Comment

I've been reading up on GLA and there are some downsides to it if it is out of balance with Omega-3. It increases the inflammatory response and can mess up hormones and maybe heart. Got this from a few places including Dr. Weil.

Comment

thanks Mewkiss,

I'll give it some more research before I dive into it! Dr. Weil is a pretty good authority in my books.

Comment

My Barlean's "total Omega" Omega Swirl has around 500 GLA. I've been calling it my "combo" or "combination" product because it has both types of Omegas you'd get from fish oil and flax oil, but it has additional ingredients. There's one "Total Omega" with fish oil but the other is a vegan version. I'm not sure where the GLA in it comes from. But the Barleans website probably says from where. The bottles may say too. Just too tired and achey right now to go check.

Funny thing is my eyes really improved just using their other Omega Swirls: Omega fish oil in the AM and Omega flax oil in PM. And those don't have GLA. Barleans also has an Omega Swirl for women with menopausal issues, which is chocolate flavored. I don't know if it has the GLA. I know I sound like a Barleans fanatic, but I really love how it's helped and tastes good too. But of course there could be other products that work even better and I just haven't run across those yet.

Mary in VA

Comment

Working...
                X