This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFA/Omega 3 malabsorption/deficiency

I happened to have some nutrition testing in conjunction with food intolerance testing and found out I am deficient in Omega 3's. This is of interest in that I have been taking 4000 mg of Omega 3 daily for over 6 months, 2000 mg for over a year with no noticeable improvement in my DES. It appears I am not absorbing my EFAs. I looked up the symptoms of EFA deficiency (see below). I have many of them, including DES of course! I will soon start taking Lipase enzyme to see if I can get some benefit from the EFAs. If you don't seem to be having any improvement with long term supplementation with fish oil or other EFAs, you might not be absorbing them. Here is a list of symptoms of EFA deficiency (I have many of them):

Dry skin (e.g., feet/face/general)
    Scaly or flaky skin (e.g., legs)
    Cracking/peeling fingertips & skin (e.g., heels)
    Lackluster skin
    Small bumps on back of upper arms
    Patchy dullness &/or color variation of skin
    Mixed oily and dry skin ('combination' skin)
    Irregular quilted appearance of skin (e.g., legs)
    Thick or cracked calluses
    Dandruff or cradle cap
    Dry, lackluster, brittle or unruly hair
    Soft, fraying, splitting or brittle fingernails
    Dull nails - lack of surface shine
    Slow growing fingernails
    Dry eyes
    Dry mouth/throat
    Inadequate vaginal lubrication
    Menstrual cramps
    Premenstrual breast pain/tenderness
    Excessive ear wax
    Excessive thirst
    Allergic (e.g., eczema/asthma/hay fever/hives)
    Crave fats/fatty foods
    Stiff or painful joints
    (http://www.prohealth.com/library/sho...cfm?libid=7564)
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

What kind of doctor did you go to for the testing? It sounds like they did a very thorough work up on you.

Comment

I ordered it online. They test your hair. PM me if you want the link.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Yep i have alot of those symptoms and omegas didnt help me. I was on them for months, not as long as you though. I stop and start coz they dont really help. So is Lipase enzyme recommended for omega absorption?
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Lipase is a fat digesting enzyme.

Comment

Doing a detox/clense like a juice detox/fast for 10 days is supposed to help malabsorption issues.
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
            X