X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Matters

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has seen the documentary Food Matters? It poses the argument that progressive diseases can be cured through food (a plant-based diet with more fruit and vegetables). What is everyone's take on this? I saw it the other night and while it does not talk about dry eye or any other eye conditions, it does show some very uplifting stories.

It's been almost two years since the first doctor has diagnosed me with dry eye/MGD. A good amount of the doctors I've seen since have also dismissed my most severe symptoms (light flashes and sensitivity, head pain and eye pain) and prescribed the usual treatment that we all have heard hundreds of times. I just wonder if there's a different approach to this horrible condition.

It's really funny that you mention this because I watched this documentary, well more like listened with my eyes closed, just last night. I do believe better nutrients give our bodies better building blocks. I know my dad manages his gout without medications, but with tart cherries...plain old cherries, which will have no bad side effects. Why do eye doctors say take fish oil? Well that's basically a food (or you could just eat a ton of fish), which helps some, then doesn't there have to be other foods out there that may help too. I actually pulled out the juicer after listening to this documentary, I'm going to give it a try. If modern science can't do anything, then what else can we do? I believe our bodies are remarkable and capable of healing themselves if the toxins are eliminated and the correct building blocks are available. For now this is my only hope. It may be a long shot, I may be stuck with this forever, but on the other hand there may be a cure/treatment. Our bodies have genes that correct errors in DNA replication and genes that suppress tumors. Our bodies are made to correct themselves, we really are a masterpiece if you think of how it all works. It just stinks when something decides to malfunction. I still have a hard time believing our glands just stop for no good reason. There has to be a trigger, something we are lacking, something in excess...? I'm a scientist though, I don't accept things for as they are, I want to know why.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
    ― Hippocrates

Comment

This is a well made and thoughtful documentary that everyone should see! One of my favourite quotes:

"the reason a vitamin or mineral can be useful in different illnesses is that a deficiency in a particular vitamin or mineral can cause many illnesses. "

There are a limited amount of vitamins and minerals the body needs to be healthy. It goes without saying that each contributes to multiple chemical reactions needed for cell health, energy and hormone production - not to mention countless other body functions.

This documentary changes lives....

I believe they are currently screening it free on the internet for a limited time.
      Jamie

Comment

Here's a link to the video... says it's free until Oct. 8, but I'm about to watch it and it appears to be working still...

http://foodmatters.tv/screeningeventcinema

Comment

Enjoyed the documentary. Worth watching. I really find it amazing that so few people even notice that modern medicine largely ignores food. To me that makes no sense whatsoever. I don't know how to relate to a medical professional who has no significant knowledge of nutrition (and probably eats worse than I do).

Lacey1 I like your quote.

I keep coming back to Michael Pollen's simple advice:
          Eat food. (Real food. Not stuff with ingredients you can't pronounce. Nothing your grandmother wouldn't recognize as a food. Etc. Easier for those of us who have a garden - where food is grown in live soil that I know something about.)
          Not too much. (My biggest downfall .)
          Mostly plants. (Thanks... I could never live without cheese and I'd be hard put to give up meat but I can cut down if I try.)

I don't know where I stand on vitamin therapies. Some sound really promising. Problem with modern 'medicine' is that it makes me suspicious of virtually everything that goes into my body - other than actual food. Part of my brain just wants to scream "Shouldn't this ol' body work OK if I'm eating right and exercising?"
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Ive been doing a raw food diet (veg and fruit) with juicing for 1 month (i have cheated abit though with some cooked and bad stuff), no improvement in my eyes so far god dam it! But the rest of me feels good- more energy etc.

The Gerson therapy is V interesting- check it out. That is why i started juicing- but its so hard core and you spend ALL your time making juices all day with organic food- its not cheap. Its for cancer, im trying to treat possible PCOS (and dry eye) so im not doing it as strict as they would for Cancer, however I dont know if its effective how im doing it!

One thing ive noticed about diets, is they help ALOT of illnesses, but for most people they dont seem to help Dry eye, thats been my experience. Ive had other health problems (due to stress of dry eye) and diets have cleared most up- except my eyes.
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
            X