Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about these vitamins for neuropathic eye pain?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about these vitamins for neuropathic eye pain?

I used to use Vit B12 to manage my post shingles nerve pain. So I figured I would google what vitamins or nutrients are available for neuropathic pain. I am thinking that maybe such a treatment would help in the healing of corneal nerves? Here is what I found:

For neuropathic pain:

Fat-soluble vitamin B1 (benfotiamine)—150 mg one to three times daily
    Niacin—500 mg daily (for arthritis take 500 mg three to six times daily)
    Vitamin B6—250 mg daily
    Vitamin B12—500 micrograms (mcg) one to four times daily (up to 40 mg daily in the form of methylcobalamin)

Anyone have any experience with this treatment. . . or thoughts about it . . . or any other for that matter?

I thought that one of the side effects of niacin was dry eye?

Comment

For people with rosacea, niacin is a no-no because it causes flushing. And I think 500mg is a big dose. However, I do remember hearing that you can buy no-flush niacin.

Comment

Sorry. . . my source was not a dry eye source. It was solely a source of info regarding neuropathic pain.

Since my post this morning, I have also read about tumeric/curcumin as being an effective anti-inflammatory agent. There are even some web sites relating this treatment to dry eye.

Has anyone tried this out yet?

Comment

It's possibly better to address the underlying causes of neurological pain such as inflammation, irritation, auto-immunity, stress, low tolerance stress (adrenal fatigue), complications with ageing (collagen breakdown)...and address them with nutrients/herbs. Nutrients are 'modulators' to assist enzymes converting one chemical to another. They should not be seen as a prescription drug that "treats" a "symptom". Natural medicine is about balancing the whole body, it works on a different paradigm to conventional drug therapy.

Hopeful2 comment on tumeric/curcumin is very relevant. A plethora of peer reviewed medical journals show tumeric is an effective anti-inflammatory. It is being used successfully for arthritic conditions and cancer. It will no doubt, be useful for dry eyes since it targets one of it's chief causes..."inflammation". If it's auto-immunity such as in Sjogren's syndrome I'd be looking at Echinacea since it's a novel immuno-modulator.

Get hold of a liquid form of tumeric/curcumin and place the fat soluble liquid fish oils for enhanced anti-inflammatory effects. Always take with some fatty food to enhance digestion.

Comment

Working...
          X