Eye vitamin questions (probably dumb)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye vitamin questions (probably dumb)

Okay, I have some eye vitamin questions. They are probably dumb, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Keep in mind that I am still fairly new to all this lasik/eye stuff. I have learned SO much from all of you and am constantly writing down every new thing I learn off this web site and taking it to my drug store and/or my doctors office.
    Here's my question...when I was at the drug store today I noticed some vitamins in the eye aisle that are targeted just for eyes. One I think was "TheraTears nutrition for eyes" and there was another one too. Do these work and help any of you at all? What about that new eye mist that you mist into your eyes? It's the one that's all over the TV. I'm thinking these things are just for people with mildly dry eyes due to normal conditions, not for cases like ours. Please let me know what you think.
    Keep in mind that my nutrionist already has me on Flax seed oil (6 tablets),
    Vitamin A (2 tablets), Vitamin B (2 tablets), Vitamin C (6 tablets), Vitamin E (2 tablets), Bilberry (3 tablets), Calcium (2 tablets), Garlic (2 tablets) and a multi-vitamin (6 tablets)...all for my eyes!
    I think those eye vitamins all had lucetin and something else in them.
    Also, should I add the NAC 600 Glutathione 100 that you all were talking about too?

Originally posted by Kyle
    Okay, I have some eye vitamin questions. They are probably dumb, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Keep in mind that I am still fairly new to all this lasik/eye stuff. I have learned SO much from all of you and am constantly writing down every new thing I learn off this web site and taking it to my drug store and/or my doctors office.
    Here's my question...when I was at the drug store today I noticed some vitamins in the eye aisle that are targeted just for eyes. One I think was "TheraTears nutrition for eyes" and there was another one too. Do these work and help any of you at all? What about that new eye mist that you mist into your eyes? It's the one that's all over the TV. I'm thinking these things are just for people with mildly dry eyes due to normal conditions, not for cases like ours. Please let me know what you think.
    Keep in mind that my nutrionist already has me on Flax seed oil (6 tablets),
    Vitamin A (2 tablets), Vitamin B (2 tablets), Vitamin C (6 tablets), Vitamin E (2 tablets), Bilberry (3 tablets), Calcium (2 tablets), Garlic (2 tablets) and a multi-vitamin (6 tablets)...all for my eyes!
    I think those eye vitamins all had lucetin and something else in them.
    Also, should I add the NAC 600 Glutathione 100 that you all were talking about too?
    Hi Kyle, I can speak only for myself and from my own experience. For what it's worth, I ask a lot of the same questions you are asking.

In my experience, there has been no 'wow' factor from a comfort standpoint by using any of the eye vitamins. I am convinced that there are health benefits (eye and overall) from taking supplements and so I do. Age, lifestyle, diet, gender...we're all different so our supplement needs will vary. You are fortunate to have a nutritionist helping guide your choices. I would ask him/her about how and when to work the NAC 600 Glutathione 100 into your supplement routine.

I've tried the Nature's Mist spray. I have a pretty strong 'wince' reflex so was not successful with it. I just couldn't keep my eyes open, aim and spray.

Dry eye relief can be a whole lot of trial and error. I now have a greater appreciation for taking a slow, methodical approach. I threw so much at myself so fast that there is no way of knowing what is 'working' and what is not. I know I wasted a whole ton of money by not first having someone in my camp who could coordinate my care and help me stay on some type of schedule for starting new things and stopping others. I could attempt do it myself but I am not disciplined or knowledgeable enough.

I am pretty impressed with your approach to this so far.
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines as Cindy. You're already taking so much...especially the oils. The special "eye" supplements don't make much difference to me, though I still buy a bottle now and again and use it. (Wishful thinking?)

I also thought perhaps the NAC/Glutathione probably wouldn't hurt anything, and there's been some success with it on these boards.

I would refer all else to your nutritionist.
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I am of the mindset that I will try ANYTHING at this point to get better. I agree, I feel like I am throwing a lot of stuff at myself...and I probably need to back up a bit so I can figure out what's working and what's not. Patience has never been a virtue that I have possessed though!

I will ask my nutrionist about the NAC and see what she says.

I also contacted one of the eye studies via the internet and was turned down. I don't know if it's because of where I live or because I had the lasik only 3 months ago.
        The hot line number people called me back, but I missed their call. I'll try to get in touch with them again later today.

Thanks to each and every one of you for being such a pioneer and leading the way to a possible permanent solution for all of us!

Comment

I tried that one....

Hi Kyle,

I tried the Nutratears capsules. They have a fish oil ingredient that made me burp fish taste. Since they are supposed to give you omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are supposed to help your production of tears.

Yeah right. Long story short. One of the tag team Opthomologists I see suggested going with plain old Flaxseed oil capsules for Omega 3, and forget the named capsules... they are cheaper, and perhaps they do some good(?)

Comment

Working...
          X