Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does limiting sugar (fruit as well) help w/ mgd?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does limiting sugar (fruit as well) help w/ mgd?

i was just curious if cutting down on fruit helps mgd ? i know they say sugar is bad..does that include fruit and raw honey???
    i feel like everything i read contradicts itself!! any advise i appreciate so much!!!! i just want to start to feel better 1 day-
    Jenny

Jenny 2008,
    We find limiting sugar helps LM (early teens now) because the meibomian gland dysfunction is caused by skin inflammation and changed lipid - periorificial papulopustular rosacea - and a sugar/fat combo, like chocolate milk, definitely causes a flare-up. She is fine on oranges and tomatoes but juice is inflammatory and we see a rash-like effect, same with eg cola. I can pretty much tell what she's been cheating on, poor thing. That horrible cheese on pizza causes MG clogging and skin problems next day.

However, your pathogenesis is different, this is why we all get conflicting messages from reading up and various docs when the aetiology is not clear. You may not have inflammation on sugars like she does. For her, eating honey bad, too much sugar; but using honey/beeswax products on the face good, lovely antibacterial soothing effect. This is why there's conflicting information, I think, people looking for triggers for rosacea hypersensitivity MGD. Adjusting lipids by reducing fats in diet and taking omega 3 oils definitely improves her meibom though (although, confusingly, she has flareups on flaxseed oil and is better on fish oil, something weird with the fat processing I assume). So, different folks.

Experimenting with dietary triggers takes organisation. They say give it some 3/4 weeks of elimination. However, I can see immediate meibom clogging myself next day after eg salted pork rind. Her flareups on eg sneaky orange drink with E numbers would be within 2/3 hours. I saw a TV programme about twin docs who experimented with an Inuit diet to find out why virtually no heart disease (one on tinned hotdog sausages and syrup pudding, and the other on raw walrus meat, seal fat and dried reindeer..) and the marked difference in blood cholestorol was within 5 days. Easier to supplement with fish oils though

Hope this rambling helps give a perspective on this.
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 12-Dec-2011, 05:22.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
    X