Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

diet-anti-inflammatory (low sugar) and MGD?? anyone following this diet&does it help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diet-anti-inflammatory (low sugar) and MGD?? anyone following this diet&does it help?

well my glands seem to get so clogged-toothpaste like gunk after about 2 weeks after expression from the doc. i considering making an appt w/ a naturopath doc and being put on a strict low sugar/ anti inflammatory diet..
    i was curious if anyone has striclty followed one and has found it to help their MGDs??? thanks!!!! ))
    Jenny

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
    well my glands seem to get so clogged-toothpaste like gunk after about 2 weeks after expression from the doc. i considering making an appt w/ a naturopath doc and being put on a strict low sugar/ anti inflammatory diet..
    i was curious if anyone has striclty followed one and has found it to help their MGDs??? thanks!!!! ))
    Hi jenny,
    I have read about some people who experienced a lot of improvement from these diets.Search jessica adams.
    I think its recommended to avoid gluten,dairy,sugar(even a lot of fruits),red meat,breads etc.
    Very difficult to follow however.

Comment

I'm very interested in this myself, I do not have MGD, but very dry eyes, and lots of inflammation, I have other symptoms of inflammation, and not just diet alone, but I know there are some supplement that help with inflammation, I've picked up some Olive leaf extract that is suppose to help, and cordyceps, I'm looking into others as well, but for now this is what I'm trying. please continue posting so we can follow your progress on this.

Comment

This is a difficult one. Strict anti-inflammatory diets didn't make any difference to my eyes but wouldn't wish to discourage others from trying it.

I have never had what one could call a 'sweet tooth' and I've always eaten plenty of oily fish and vegetables. I've visited nutritionists, naturopaths and sought the advice of our sports science students and all agree that there is not much scope for change unless I went on a 'crank diet' (which I have actually also tried but to no avail). One thing I think I should do is to drink more water during the day; I probably drink enough it wouldn't harm me to have more.

Having made the above comments, I wouldn't change the way I eat just because it seems to make little difference to my eyes. I have a feeling that if I ate badly, then my eyes would certainly suffer. This is often a multi-factorial condition so it makes sense to attack it from different angles.

Comment

^^ thats basically been the case with me.

I saw a natropath for a different condition- stomach probs after antibiotics (my eyes feeling good due to this other condition going on) I stayed on a strict diet avoiding dairy, wheat, sugar etc for 3 months (may have had small things here and there- i still ate fruit), stomach probs got better, dry eye returned as severe as ever.

Recently i embarked on a raw food diet, avoiding everything, skin looked great, felt good. But NO IMPROVEMENT in my eyes after 1 and 1/2 months.

Cant say my eyes feel worse when i eat bad either...

Maybe i need to try a diet for a much longer period but i find it really hard to do when no improvment.
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Im sorry to hear u noticed no improvement sazy.I am quite interested in your case as we seem to have similar problems.Once our inflammation goes down our eyes feel much better.
            Im going to try a diet like this soon.
            Also,its a long shot but what fruits were u eating?fruits are very commonly a rosacea trigger.Apples and bananas defo make my eyes worse.U should also watch out for citrus,berries etc.
            Hope we soon find relief
            Anthony

Originally posted by sazy123 View Post
            ^^ thats basically been the case with me.

I saw a natropath for a different condition- stomach probs after antibiotics (my eyes feeling good due to this other condition going on) I stayed on a strict diet avoiding dairy, wheat, sugar etc for 3 months (may have had small things here and there- i still ate fruit), stomach probs got better, dry eye returned as severe as ever.

Recently i embarked on a raw food diet, avoiding everything, skin looked great, felt good. But NO IMPROVEMENT in my eyes after 1 and 1/2 months.

Cant say my eyes feel worse when i eat bad either...

Maybe i need to try a diet for a much longer period but i find it really hard to do when no improvment.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony16 View Post
              fruits are very commonly a rosacea trigger.Apples and bananas defo make my eyes worse.U should also watch out for citrus,berries etc.
              Anthony
              Hi Anthony,

I have rosacea and ocular rosacea. I don't eat fruit either (it hurts my teeth/mouth also). Anyway, I try to follow this: http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php

I print out that page and stick it everywhere. It's difficult to do - how do you avoid cheese?!?!? And chocolate?!?!? Aaaarrrgh! But it does help.

Good luck,
              Sheila

Comment

anthony.. how do u know bananas make you feel worse with the rosacea? i have rosacea too but dont ever notice any flare up after i eat bananas or thenext day. what happens to you when you eat one??? thanks so much for answering please!
                Jenny

Comment

Ya that is a good list.Foods high in histamine seem to flare a lot of rosaceans.
                  I know they are a trigger cause when i eat them my eyelids usually burn a lot the next day and it seems to be consistent.However,no 2 rosaceans will have consisten food triggers.I spoke to a lady recently who improved her eyes by cutting out beans of all things cos her eyes felt like they were on fire after eating them.
                  Ideally,u should cut out gluten,cow dairy(lots seem to tolerate goat/sheep)),all fruit,sugar(even natural like in honey),refined carbs,histamine high foods and histamine releasing foods,certain vegetables(tomatoes,avocados,peppers),also the nightshade group of vegetables(potatoes, etc) for 1-2 months..
                  It may make no difference but worth a shot i feel

Comment

i eat bananas daily.i tried for a week and gave them up last year but dont recall any difference in my eyes... .. i did give up honey a few weeks ago and eat nothing processed...
                    now i wake up with my left eye hurting all day.. my right eye seems fine.. its my sjogrens. it moves around.
                    Jenny

Comment

I recently met another patient at the eye center with Sarcoidosis on the eye. During our long wait, she mentioned that she went on Vegan Diet for past 6 months and never went back to normal diet. It seems it has helped reduce her eye inflammation significantly. She suggested me to look up the book 21-Days to Vegan Diet.

Anyone else have had success with Vegan diet reducing inflammation?

Comment

I've just started eliminating as many inflammatory foods from my diet as possible. I never thought my diet would have anything to do with my eyes, but after seeing my bright red eyes in the mirror yesterday just after having consumed two ice-coffees containing artificial sweeteners, I realized food might have something to do with it.

So today I made a conscious effort not to consume any dairy, caffeine, refined sugar, artificial sweeteners or additives. It was tough, but I got through the day and my eyes are looking pretty good. It's 3am right now, and usually at this time my eyes are as red as they can possibly get.

I usually buy my food in the cafeteria at uni, but I think I might just prepare it in advance from now on. I still haven't quite figured out what I can and can't eat, but there seems to be a lot of info online.

Comment

Working...
                        X