This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gluten connection?

Most of my efforts to control my MGD, blepharitis and related dry eye symptoms have all been topical, lid scrubs, drops etc. , but I have no clear idea about what is causing the inflammation of my tear ducts. If my condition is systemic, there may be something I'm missing.
    Has anyone here considered gluten as a trigger for the initial inflammatory reaction?

I assume that any allergy/food intolerance has the potential to cause MGD... theoretically, if someone were allergic to gluten for example, and it caused some kind of allergic response in the eyes, the ensuing inflammation could lead to MGD.

Not saying this would happen for most people, but it seems like a reasonable possibility to consider...

Comment

i am starting this on monday-had been on a pretty strict diet but after going to a naturopath she wants me to do this very strict diet for 60 days.ellimation diet... basically all i can eat is fruits (no bananas tho) veggies (except nightshades) , sweet potatoes, olive oil. coconut oil?, organic chicken, wild caught fish, organic turkey and teas.. no coffee, no nuts . nothing.. wow. it is so strict.. i am going to try it.. and then after 60 days i can reintroduce a food group at a time..

i am going to miss eating eggs for breakfast and bananas and almond butter. o well
      Jenny

Comment

I am gluten intolerant, have been on mostly a gluten free diet for several months now. No change at all in my DES, in fact it is getting worse due to another condition I have.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I got meibohmian gland dysfunction dry-eye 2 years ago (at about the same time I entered menopause). I went 100% gluten free 1 year ago. My eyes have unfortunately not improved. From what I've learned, gluten, via intestinal permeability, can cause autoimmune issues that can affect many different parts of the body. It caused my Hashimotos thryoiditis. I also believe the autoimmune-induced cytokines affected my dry eye. I am still hoping to see improvement for both my thyroid and eyes, but fear that the damage has been done and that it is not reversible. Regardless, I will never tough gluten/gliaden again. And, I also am glad to have lost 20+ pounds without the wheat. I plan to live a Paleo lifestyle for the rest of my life... loving it!

Comment

I think it is worth it even if it comes back you don't have celiac.

Comment

Working...
            X